The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Thurston Howell III and Open Source Economics

2 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Sep 7, 2004 11:37 AM by John D. Mitchell

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
John D. Mitchell

Nickname: johnm

Thurston Howell III and Open Source Economics (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Sep 1, 2004 9:59 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
What do examples of post-fiat economics have to do with open source?
Advertisement

The Mises Institute has published an interesting article on The Monetary Economics of Thurston Howell III (the rich character on the campy TV show, Gilligan's Island).

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to figure out how these examples of post-fiat economics apply to the free / open-source software.

Matt Gerrans

Nickname: matt

Re: Thurston Howell III and Open Source Economics Posted: Sep 2, 2004 11:57 AM
Is the open source community yet beyond the barter stage? If I'm working on project X and you on project Y and I want you to do some work on X for me (or "for the project"), what can I offer other than to reciprocate? I supose those who have "cred" can offer that; for example Linus Torvalds probably could exchange his endorsement in lieu of actual work.

I suppose the reason conventional money cannot work in open source is that its supply, like the gold in Gilligan's Island, is unstable. There may be infusions, but it doesn't necessarily stay in the open source realm and it is very unpredictable.

I guess the currency is bits, but I'm not sure what two bits will get you at current exchange rates.

That's just my 16% of a bit.

John D. Mitchell

Nickname: johnm

Re: Thurston Howell III and Open Source Economics Posted: Sep 7, 2004 11:37 AM
Bryan Cantrill talks about the FYO point and open source in his blog on the Economics of Software: http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/bmc/20040828#the_economics_of_software

Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Topic: The Architecture of Participation vesus Hacking Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Pragmatic Programmers sponsor Rails identity!

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use