The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Artima Makes First Million (Page Views)

8 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Jan 25, 2004 11:28 PM by Swaroop C H

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 8 replies on 1 page
Bill Venners

Nickname: bv

Artima Makes First Million (Page Views) (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Aug 1, 2003 3:17 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
In the month of July, Artima.com for the first time served over one million pages. I want to thank the approximately 188,000 people who visited last month.
Advertisement

It has been slightly over a year now since I started publishing new articles each week at Artima.com. That began on July 8, 2002, with the first installment of the interview with Bob Scheifler. In July 2002, Artima.com received 403,000 page views. The traffic has more than doubled in the past year. In July 2003, Artima.com received over one million page views, over two million file requests, and over three million hits. All those requests were made by approximately 188,000 unique users, 50,000 more people than live in Sunnyvale, California, my home town. This really blows my mind as I roam around my home town and look at how many people live here. 188,000 people is a lot of people.

I would like to apologize for the occasional reliability problems some of you may have experienced here. It is a scalability problem, and I'm working on it. It is actually a fun and interesting problem to work on, but unfortunately I myself am also having trouble scaling. I just have too many things to do right now, and not enough hands to do it, so many important things get pushed to the next day. So I appreciate your patience as I work my way through this awkward growth phase.

Mostly, though, I would like to say thanks to everyone who has come to Artima.com to blog, to buzz, to discuss, or just to read. I really do enjoy bringing everyone together and am very happy with the signal to noise ratio so far. The quality of posts has been very high in the weblogs and forums. I am quite worried that as the traffic grows further, the signal to noise ratio will gradually diminish, as I've seen happen at other sites. If anyone has ideas as to how to keep the signal to noise ratio high, please post them in the forum for this weblog entry.

Lastly, I would like to take this opportunity to ask what kinds of articles people would like to see here at Artima.com in the future. What's your wish list?

MikeD

Nickname: mike

Re: Artima Makes First Million (Page Views) Posted: Aug 1, 2003 5:36 AM
Great News. Just like to say I visit artima daily and consider it a source for quality news. The Weblogs are just outstanding, owned by some of the greatest in the industry.

Topics Wish List (brainstorming):

- Always like to hear more Jini news
- How about more researchy/new & cools stuff like Grid Computing, AOP. Maybe get some XEROX PARC, IBM Alpha/Dev Works, and other "lab-setting" bloggers
- How about a blog for David Gelernter?
- Other networking/distributed computing topics
- Hey, how about an interview with Bill Venners?

Keep up the great work!

Mike

MikeD

Nickname: mike

Re: Artima Makes First Million (Page Views) Posted: Aug 1, 2003 5:39 AM
> Topics Wish List (brainstorming):
>
> - Always like to hear more Jini news
> - How about more researchy/new & cools stuff like Grid
> Computing, AOP. Maybe get some XEROX PARC, IBM Alpha/Dev
> Works, and other "lab-setting" bloggers
> - How about a blog for David Gelernter?
> - Other networking/distributed computing topics

Of course, interviews or articles for the suggested blog topics would also be great.

> - Hey, how about an interview with Bill Venners?

Vincent O'Sullivan

Nickname: vincent

Re: Artima Makes First Million (Page Views) Posted: Aug 1, 2003 2:34 PM
Well done, that man.

Dean Goodmanson

Nickname: deang

Re: Artima Makes First Million (Page Views) Posted: Aug 5, 2003 8:46 AM
How many/% RSS hits?

Bill Venners

Nickname: bv

Re: Artima Makes First Million (Page Views) Posted: Aug 5, 2003 4:37 PM
> How many/% RSS hits?

There were 700,000 rss file hits in July, up from 550,000 in June, so that's definitely growing quickly. The page views in June was just over 999,000, so we almost made a million page views in June. Just missed it. So page views are growing more slowly. Anyway, RSS file hits are not counted in the page views. It probably won't be long before there are more RSS hits than page views.

Reza Iqbal

Nickname: rezaiqbal

Re: Artima Makes First Million (Page Views) Posted: Aug 22, 2003 8:26 AM
As I Java beginner. I always try to learn Java from REAL experts (so that i can become an expert too). I found those real experts here. The experts that develop masterpiece (not only develop java programs). Experts that talk about analysis, design, performance, reuse etc. That's make Artima my favorit site for Java resources. Thanks Bill.

Charles Bell

Nickname: charles

Re: Artima Makes First Million (Page Views) Posted: Aug 22, 2003 8:56 AM
wow

Swaroop C H

Nickname: g2swaroop

Good work shows! Posted: Jan 25, 2004 11:28 PM
Hi,

I just want to thank Bill Venners for creating such a good site with wonderful articles - I have always been interested in what is the thought process behind languages and how the language designers such as Guido, Gosling, Hejlsberg go about it.

- Swaroop

Flat View: This topic has 8 replies on 1 page
Topic: Non-obvious Code Should Obviously Be Killed Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Inside Out, or Outside In?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use