The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Finally Upgraded To Fedora Core 6

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Weiqi Gao

Nickname: weiqigao

Weiqi Gao is a Java programmer.
Finally Upgraded To Fedora Core 6 Posted: Jan 9, 2007 11:37 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Weiqi Gao.
Original Post: Finally Upgraded To Fedora Core 6
Feed Title: Weiqi Gao's Weblog
Feed URL: http://www.weiqigao.com/blog/rss.xml
Feed Description: Sharing My Experience...
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Weiqi Gao
Latest Posts From Weiqi Gao's Weblog

Advertisement

It has been 79 days since Fedora Core 6 was released. I finally got a chance to upgrade my work station from FC5 to FC6.

As in the past, I downloaded the FC6 x86_64 DVD using Bittorrent, and started my "try upgrade first, if that doesn't work, do a fresh install."

The upgrade worked. It took about 2 hours for all the new packages to be installed from the DVD to the hard drive. And then it took a full day to pull down all the accumulated updates using "yum update" from the Fedora mirrors. As in the past, I relied upon the Fedora Core 6 Tips & Tricks website to get the multimedia stuff installed.

Improvements that I've noticed include:

• The Istanbul Desktop Session Recorder is improved tremendously. Last time I tried it, it was very primitie. The version in FC6 feels a lot smoother, and did not use a huge amount of memory or CPU as the FC5 version did.
  • I just noticed the Cups-PDF printer driver that allows one to print anything to a PDF file. (This might be already present in FC5.)
  • The GL-accelerated desktop effects are cool. My windows wobble when moved, and my workspaces are on a cube (that rotate in 3D) now. It also has something similar to the Mac OS X Expose.
  • The Gobby collaboration editor looks like it should be useful. It supports distributed file editing with chat.
  • I switched to 32-bit Firefox just to get Flash working. I can watch videos on YouTube now.
  • And as you can see in the screenshot below, Qemu still works.

Read: Finally Upgraded To Fedora Core 6

Topic: Can't Get It Out of My Head Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Nathan Fiedler has released version 3.15 of JSwat, a graphical, stand-alone Java debugger built...

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use