The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
How I Discovered Rogue Processes Running on our Build Agents

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Mathias Bogaert

Nickname: pathos

Mathias Bogaert is a senior software architect at Intrasoft mainly doing projects for the EC.
How I Discovered Rogue Processes Running on our Build Agents Posted: Jan 23, 2013 12:08 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Mathias Bogaert.
Original Post: How I Discovered Rogue Processes Running on our Build Agents
Feed Title: Scuttlebutt
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/AtlassianDeveloperBlog
Feed Description: tech gossip by mathias
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Mathias Bogaert
Latest Posts From Scuttlebutt

Advertisement
In the process of digging around investigating a performance issue with our internal build agents, I discovered rogue fluxbox processes taking 100% CPU on a large number of our build agents, here’s a write up of how I found them. On a particular host you can get a vague idea of how busy a host is by the load average, for example: This doesn’t tell you much. How has the value changed over time? We use collectd to collect system statistics from all our Build Engineering systems (physical and virtual servers) and send this data to our Graphite instance. We can graph the host’s load over time using graphite, for example: So we can see trending of this particular host over time. Not very exciting. But what happens if you want to compare the load across multiple instances. You could graph them all I guess: Not very informative. You could graph all the load averages as separate graphs, The problem there is that the y-axis takes up way too much space to make comparison possible: You could scale the y-axis, to fit more graphs in, but you lose clarity in each graph. Data visualisation This is where I discovered a javascript library called cubism.js, written by the square guys. This library uses D3 and allows you to pull in Graphite data and visualises data in a different way. Taking the original load graph, it says, screw it, I’m only going to show the first x pixels of the graph. If there are peaks that spill over the top, they are cut off, and drawn from the bottom of the x-axis, but in a darker shade of colour, this continues, until the full peak is drawn. Here is an example from their website of the same graph, at 120px, 60px, 40px & 30px: As the graph height gets smaller, shades of green replace the height. You quickly replace looking at the height of the graph, to looking at the shades of colour instead. So this has potential, what about some real data? Armed with a bit of HTML & Javascript, I started pulling down data from our graphite instance (I had to enable CORS on the Graphite server as well): As you can see, when you have a large number of hosts / data series, you can quickly use the shades of the colour to visually determine the differences, patterns and hotspots. So a number of build agents really stuck out when they where different from the rest. This lead me to investigate into each host which was showing the sustained load – turns out that they all had a rogue process of fluxbox running. We’ve updated our purge script that runs before every build to kill this process to ensure that we don’t get hit by this again, if this problem happens more frequently, we’ll look at moving to a different windowing manager. Instant Graph-ification The cubism.js library also auto updates the graph, so you could use it for a wallboard display as well. Also using a different metric from graphite is trivial. We could enhance this visualisation to overlay information about [...]

Read: How I Discovered Rogue Processes Running on our Build Agents

Topic: Just patch Java? Easier said than done Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: How to kill Java dead, dead, dead

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use