The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
What You Need To Know About The New Git 1.8.2 Release

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Mathias Bogaert

Nickname: pathos

Mathias Bogaert is a senior software architect at Intrasoft mainly doing projects for the EC.
What You Need To Know About The New Git 1.8.2 Release Posted: Mar 18, 2013 11:21 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Mathias Bogaert.
Original Post: What You Need To Know About The New Git 1.8.2 Release
Feed Title: Scuttlebutt
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/AtlassianDeveloperBlog
Feed Description: tech gossip by mathias
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Mathias Bogaert
Latest Posts From Scuttlebutt

Advertisement
I love scouring the release notes of my favorite tools for hidden (or not so hidden) gems. It’s a little bit like Christmas every time… ok… let me drop the metaphor right here, but you get what I mean. I get that nice feeling of anticipation and curiosity when new versions are released of my faithful OSX open source window manager Slate, on Rails, Django, CoffeeScript and of course git and many others. Upgrading, upgrading, upgrading So the new git 1.8.2 release is out. Of course this means upgrading to the latest version. It should be relatively pain free: Just type brew update && brew upgrade git if you use homebrew on OSX. Use a magic apt trick if on Ubuntu based distributions (I leave other distributions as an exercise for the reader). Simply run the new installer if on Windows. So what’s new in Git 1.8.2? As usual, lots has been fixed. For now, I wanted to show you a few things that caught my interest in this latest release. Streamlined behavior for add -u and -A git add -u is the flag used to tell git to also stage deletions when adding stuff from the current directory to the index. And git add -A is used to add everything and stage deletions starting from the current directory. It used to be equivalent to: 1git add .; git add -u This behavior has now changed and -u/-A flags will operate on the entire source tree to make it consistent with git commit -a and others that already work this way. This is a backwards incompatible change, though hopefully of light impact. Useful **/ pattern to use in .gitignore The beloved .gitignore file gains a cool new **/ pattern that matches zero or more levels of a subdirectory: 12E.g. "foo/**/bar" matches "bar" in "foo" itself or in a subdirectory of "foo". In addition to this, git now sports a check-ignore command that can be used to debug the .gitignore settings: 123E.g. [4967] λ # git check-ignore --verbose dist/ .gitignore:1:dist       dist/ Improved completion script If you use the command line and have setup git shell auto completion you have probably noticed how useful it is. In this release the completion script has been improved to be smart about which files to show when you git add, discarding not relevant ones like unmodified paths. Colored Aliases And Script Interactions I use heavily colored log commands as I showed in my alias post a while ago. This release brings in a nice tweak that automatically disables colors when the output is not used for a terminal, very useful when using git commands in scripts. How to use it? Just pre-pend auto to the color specifier like: 1%C(auto,blue)Hello%C(auto,reset) Ancestry graph in git log now works with combined diff output The –graph output of git log used to struggle if you added the -p to show the combined diff output. Now it works as expected: 1git log -p --cc --graph Better Sync [...]

Read: What You Need To Know About The New Git 1.8.2 Release

Topic: Java 7 and Maven on Google App Engine Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Java Web Security By Example

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use