The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
SourceBeat Anyone?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Mike Shoemaker

Nickname: mikeshoe

Mike Shoemaker is senior Java developer using Ruby
SourceBeat Anyone? Posted: Oct 18, 2004 8:52 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Mike Shoemaker.
Original Post: SourceBeat Anyone?
Feed Title: Unruly Rambling (java category)
Feed URL: http://www.shoesobjects.com/blog/feed.xml?flavor=rss20&category=java
Feed Description: My thoughts on software, technology, and life in general
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Mike Shoemaker
Latest Posts From Unruly Rambling (java category)

Advertisement

First a few questions. What is the best way to sell technical books? print vs pdf? owership vs leasing? What is a reasonable price? What is the lifetime of a technical book? Is it more than 1 year?

I ask because I have been recently looking at SourceBeat's sales model. I don't know about anyone else, but I think the $29.99 per book per year from SourceBeat seems a bit steep. While I agree 100% that the authors should be compensated for their great work, $30 for something that isn't tangible and expires after 1 year seems like a bit much. I much prefer the Manning approach where around $20 and plus the option to purchase the real book for full price less what you paid for the pdf. This offers the consumer the best of both worlds. As far as I know, there is no expiration on the Manning pdf's. This gives the reader greater flexibility at a more reasonable cost. Until Sourcebeat charges around $15 per year or moves to a full subscription based service, I will have a hard time purchasing their material. Of course, I say that now :)

Why the rant? Im very interested in Matt Raible's, Spring Live book but for the reasons mentioned above, I'll probably be waiting for Spring in Action from Manning.

Read: SourceBeat Anyone?

Topic: Java Powered BMW Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Re: Lasik

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use