The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Have EJB Vendors Just Discovered O/R Mapping?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Carlos Perez

Nickname: ceperez

Carlos Perez is a Software Architect with over 10 years of industry experience
Have EJB Vendors Just Discovered O/R Mapping? Posted: Jul 20, 2003 9:32 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Carlos Perez.
Original Post: Have EJB Vendors Just Discovered O/R Mapping?
Feed Title: .:Manageability:.
Feed URL: http://www.manageability.org/blog/stuff/rssDisabled?portal_status_message=Syndication+is+Disabled
Feed Description: Random thoughts on the manageability of complex software.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Carlos Perez
Latest Posts From .:Manageability:.

Advertisement

Cedric Beust writes about "Optimistic Concurrency" in Weblogic's EJB product.  Andrew Oliver writes that JBoss has that too. That's all nice and well, but shouldn't you have had this since the beginning? 

It just amazes me that with the introduction of EJB 2.0 and its more reasonable attempt at addressing CMP (Container Managed Peristence) that people are beginning to discover Object Oriented to Relational mapping.  Even Marc Fleury , the boss of JBoss, in his paper "Why I Love EJBs", has come to the realization that the core essence of EJB is the persistence/transactional layer.  Could this explain JBoss new strategy to implement JDO (of course after proclaiming earlier that it was like a chicken run over by a truck)?

What's even more amazing, is that people keep asking "What's missing?"  It's as if EJB 2.0 was the greatest thing since sliced bread and that they can't conceive of any shortcomings.  When I try to mention two little tidbits like "optimistic locking" and "object relational mapping" features, I get ignorant remarks like "It's already there!".

It turns out that I have seen the future, and it's already here, matter of fact, it's been here since 1996 (as implemented in Java).   See, O/R mapping isn't a new thing.  The design patterns for O/R mapping were compiled way back in 1995 in the "Crossing the Chasm" paper.  If you want to read more about this "fascinating" and "new" area a great resource can be found here.

Let me tell you what EJB is going to add in the distant future.  I know, surprisingly the list has already been compiled and its pretty long.  So, drumroll please, let's consult the Oracle to get a list of features for EJB 5.0.  

There you have it folks, the future presented right before your very eyes! 

Read: Have EJB Vendors Just Discovered O/R Mapping?

Topic: Cycling Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: MOTO Handsets Forums?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use