The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Get Everything Done

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Bill de hÓra

Nickname: dehora

Bill de hÓra is a technical architect with Propylon
Get Everything Done Posted: Jan 31, 2005 1:02 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Bill de hÓra.
Original Post: Get Everything Done
Feed Title: Bill de hÓra
Feed URL: http://www.dehora.net/journal/atom.xml
Feed Description: FD85 1117 1888 1681 7689 B5DF E696 885C 20D8 21F8
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Bill de hÓra
Latest Posts From Bill de hÓra

Advertisement
I've noticed of late that David Allen's book Getting Things Done seems to be popular among software types. I have that book and it's good, if a bit complicated for me - I'm inclined to think if you had the discipline to follow David Allen's system, you're already halfway there. Still the idea of deferring anything you can't action inside a couple of minutes seems to work. My favourite book of this kind by far is Mark Forster's Get Everything Done. There isn't a system as such, more of a collection of techniques that are to be performed frequently. What holds the book together is the insight into the mindset of ineffectiveness and procrastination - Forster is quick to point out that he is naturally disorganized person. There are great (and seemingly hard-won) overviews of the problems with some techniques such as todo lists or prioritizing tasks. The burst technique of short (5, 10, 15 minute) task iterations is extremely clever - if you're a programmer and are comfortable with agile or test-driven approaches, you'll like it. The sections on dealing with procrastination, interruptions, and those floating items that don't seem to fit anywhere are great. And the book is short, less than 200 pages of crystal clear writing. So while it's a different take to time management that some might find too unusual, on the upside you'll know inside an hour whether it's for you....

Read: Get Everything Done

Topic: Ubuntu on MSI M510C notebook. Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: 109 Steps To Windows' Nirvana

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use