The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
JBoss AOP vs. Rickard vs. The World on TSS

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Hugo Pinto

Nickname: hugopinto

Hugo Pinto is the Technical Director at S-Tecno, a Portuguese Java Center
JBoss AOP vs. Rickard vs. The World on TSS Posted: Aug 4, 2003 6:02 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Hugo Pinto.
Original Post: JBoss AOP vs. Rickard vs. The World on TSS
Feed Title: Hugo Out There
Feed URL: http://sedoparking.com/search/registrar.php?domain=®istrar=sedopark
Feed Description: Welcome to my blog. It happened. I succumbed to the vanity exercise that a weblog is and started my own one. Here you’ll find information and thoughts (some worth reading, some… not) on Java, J2EE, Software Architecture, Music and Parapolitics
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Hugo Pinto
Latest Posts From Hugo Out There

Advertisement
...is a way-too-cool discussion to be missed. Don't miss this.

I guess the JBoss-themed discussions are now the state of the art for rant-blogging, so I'll add a couple of lines of my own.

I use/dig/promote JBoss since it was named EJBoss (and was actually not more that Marc's mock-up code for EJB 1.0) and had it's only list on eGroups (now yahoo groups). I believe it was the end of 1999. I remember the whole story of Rickard's famous interceptor-based design for 2.0, the complete re-write, and the cool architecture thereafter. I ever wrote a couple of lines back then, that are still on the server's codebase. I remember when things started to cool down between Marc and Rickard, and when their close collaboration split off - and hey, up to this point it's pretty normal open-source, people come and go, just as I did, just as Rickard did. And up to this point, there was little business around the server (Marc had a professional services company back then, - Telkel or somethink sounding like it, I believe - that flopped), and JBoss Group The Company was still a mirage.

Boundaries start to blur when JBoss Group is formed. Still today, many people cannot make the distintion between JBoss (the server) and JBoss Group (the company), and I am still not sure if Marc intended it to be this way or not. Marc created the JGB after the Telkel flop, and it was a company that would provide services over the codebase. Turns out that this time the momentum was correct, and it took off fine. Actually, the average seat price for trainings is so high that I'm surprised it did, but OK, good for JBG. Anyway, the this was that there was JBoss, the server, free, and there was a company named JBoss Group, that employed occasionaly the core JBoss developers, splitting revenue, to deliver certified services over the codebase. The only thing this company should have that made it special over other companies delivering services over JBoss was that it was owned and managed by the JBoss creator Marc Fleury (wich also is the brand's trademark owner).

Then came the certification issue: Marc always upheld that it was his intention to certify JBoss as soon as Sun would let him. And with the latest revision of the JCP, Sun actually DOES allow to get open-source products certified. The problem is - Sun says - that JBoss is a for-profit organization, and does not qualify for free certification. Marc replies "gee, this Sun guys really don't like us! They're afraid will kill the J2EE market with a free certified server", and blames Sun over it. BUT WAIT A MINUTE! JBoss is not for profit! Not JBoss THE SERVER. Marc's company is. But he lets it pass (amongst other Sun-JBoss discussions, but never mind those, this public argument is enought for here). And this is the point where I got sure that there was "Marc's private agenda" written all over it.

And with JBoss 4 (with it's ultra-cool AOP features), this became clear. Marc wants to stay in the grey area, where the server is not really certified (he is happy with "compatible", altought I don't know, nowadays, what it is compatible with... EJB 2.0? IIOP? Servlets? Wich versions?) and he can blame Sun for it, at the same time that they improve the non-J2EE features instead of pushing the not-so-cool compatibility flag. It's so easy. JBoss is not certified because Sun won't let them certify it because they say the server is for-pay, while they said it's free. Only problem is that Sun is (awaringly) not refering to the server but to the company. And Marc is (also awaringly) letting this pass away, because the blured boundary between JBoss Group and JBoss The Server is so convenient for him. In the end, he says they would certify JBoss happily paying for the certification if somebody supported the cost, but they still don't have the money. And the circle is closed.

Couple of months ago, I asked on TSS these same questions, out in the open. Marc e-mailed me in private (I won't disclose the mail) and replied in a very pissed off way (as usual in him) - but did not address the questions I had posted.

JBOSS is not 100% J2EE compatible. There is, I believe, a series of minor issues, such as CORBA compatibility, that are still lacking in implementation (and that hardly anyone uses). However, I believe that JBoss is one of the most compatible servers out there, probably above Websphere, rivalling with Weblogic and the rest of the gang. I use it, and 3.2 looks really solid. For J2EE applications, JBoss is in fact my first choice.

Core Developers Network enters the arena. And some very important issues rise. What makes JBoss Group more qualified than CDN to certify JBoss, besides the ownership of the brand by Marc? With the entry of the CDN in the marketplace, JBoss Group is what is always should have been: just another JBoss-services company - which, by the way, should have as many right of using the JBoss brand as CDN - after all, Marc sould use the JBoss brand ONLY WITHIN THE CODEBASE AND THE PROJECT, not on his own private company.

Now everyone has a choice on where to get services and support. More JBoss companies will rise. And this is when things start to get interesting. This is when open-source projects start to mature.

Thanks for your time.

Hugo.

By the way, be sure to read the comments on this post.

Read: JBoss AOP vs. Rickard vs. The World on TSS

Topic: Refactoring Refactoring Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Luke - Lucene Index Browser

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use