The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Python Buzz Forum
Home automation notes

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Phillip Pearson

Nickname: myelin

Phillip Pearson is a Python hacker from New Zealand
Home automation notes Posted: Jan 6, 2004 7:56 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Python Buzz by Phillip Pearson.
Original Post: Home automation notes
Feed Title: Second p0st
Feed URL: http://www.myelin.co.nz/post/rss.xml
Feed Description: Tech notes and web hackery from the guy that brought you bzero, Python Community Server, the Blogging Ecosystem and the Internet Topic Exchange
Latest Python Buzz Posts
Latest Python Buzz Posts by Phillip Pearson
Latest Posts From Second p0st

Advertisement

The PIC16F628 seriously fails to suck. All the features of the 16F84 and then some, and US$1.80 each for 25+ at Digikey. By the time a batch of 25 would make it to New Zealand, that's about NZ$5 each. I may be out of date, but this seems about 20-50% of the cost of comparable AVR chips. They don't look as efficient or easy to program as the AVRs, though. [The AVRs execute one instruction per clock, and I built a parallel cable to program them a while back that only needed two transistors.]

OpenPic.Net is a complete DIY home automation system that uses the 16F84. It's controlled by a PC, and uses a star-connected serial bus for communications (very simple protocol, at about 500 bps).

Now what I need is a slightly safer / better equivalent of the OpenPic.Net switched power plug. I don't like the look of the solid-state relays they're using; I'd prefer an optocoupled magnetic relay, to make things less catastropic in case of a fault and to allow switching beefier devices.

Comment

Read: Home automation notes

Topic: OO versus XML + agile programming languages? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Browser as Desktop UI

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use