The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Python Buzz Forum
C

1 reply on 1 page. Most recent reply: Apr 26, 2019 7:48 PM by Robbin Tony

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Phillip Pearson

Nickname: myelin

Phillip Pearson is a Python hacker from New Zealand
C Posted: Feb 9, 2004 9:50 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Python Buzz by Phillip Pearson.
Original Post: C
Feed Title: Second p0st
Feed URL: http://www.myelin.co.nz/post/rss.xml
Feed Description: Tech notes and web hackery from the guy that brought you bzero, Python Community Server, the Blogging Ecosystem and the Internet Topic Exchange
Latest Python Buzz Posts
Latest Python Buzz Posts by Phillip Pearson
Latest Posts From Second p0st

Advertisement

Someone doesn't like the C language. How original! I mean, I bet he's the first person to have beaten himself 'round the head for using a language without a builtin string type ...

Everyone who uses C uses it for a reason. My reason for using C is that it results in small object code, and you can get a compiler for any device. I wrote most of an XML parser in C last night. It would have been easier to do it in Python, or I could just have used one of the many libraries that do it, but I did it in C because it has to run on a chip with under 200K of memory. Even expat, the smallest parser I know of, is too big for this.

I had to handle the strings the manual way, I had to allocate my own arrays, and handle freeing everything and not damaging bits of memory when working with them. It's not fun, but that's the price you pay for using a language that compiles down to very small code and has a compiler for the hardware I'm targetting.

If you want type safety and better datatypes -- strings, lists, etc -- you can use C++, which beats Pascal by a long way. If you want memory security and warnings when you cast between ints, unsigneds and bools, use Java. If you want to do some speed hacking or generally just Get Stuff Done, use Python. C# and Perl are also acceptable. Pascal if you really want it. But you're wasting your time complaining about C because everyone already knows. Every language has its pros and cons. C has plenty of cons, but it serves its niche very well. Does your favourite language?

Comment

Read: C

Robbin Tony

Nickname: robbins

Re: C Posted: Apr 26, 2019 7:48 PM
Reply to this message Reply
There is more information about the software here.https://www.allicdata.com/list.html?category_id=1768

Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Topic: My New Old Keyboard Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: PS/2 to USB convertor from an Arduino

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use