The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Python Buzz Forum
CUA finally responds

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Victor Ng

Nickname: victorng

Victor Ng programs Python for money, but he'd be programming Python anyway if he was a bum.
CUA finally responds Posted: Feb 5, 2013 9:47 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Python Buzz by Victor Ng.
Original Post: CUA finally responds
Feed Title: Victor Ng's Weblog
Feed URL: https://blog.crankycoder.com/feed/atom/
Feed Description: Python Feed
Latest Python Buzz Posts
Latest Python Buzz Posts by Victor Ng
Latest Posts From Victor Ng's Weblog

Advertisement

Well, it took a long time – 4 months to be precise – but the Canadian Urological Association finally responded to me.

Starting back in October 2012, I asked them to review the literature that they provide urologists – who in turn provide information to patients about post-vasectomy pain risks.  I didn’t get a response, but I followed up with several emails, some phone calls.  Not much luck.

I ended up getting in touch with Keith Jarvi – the director of Mount Sinai’s Urology program.  He kindly contacted the president of the CUA with my concerns and it looks guidelines committee at the CUA has finally come to a decision.

But first – some context:

The CUA provides a single pamphlet of information to patients.  The only reference to pain is:

Some men have scrotal pain that persists for a few weeks or months. Over time, this usually resolves completely without specific treatment, although rarely this discomfort may persist.

CUA pamphlet

The American Urological Assocation is pretty different.

The minimum and necessary concepts that should be discussed in a preoperative vasectomy consultation include:

…[some text removed]

Chronic scrotal pain associated with negative impact on quality of life occurs after vasectomy in about 1-2% of men. Few of these men require additional surgery.

AUA Vasectomy Guidelines

Maybe it’s just me, but the CUA makes it sound like the worst case is pretty innocuous.  ‘Discomfort’ is a lot less alarming to read than “negative impact on quality of life’.

So here’s the less than ideal response I got back tonight.

Dear Mr. Ng,

I would like to inform you that your concerns have been raised with the committees that deal with guidelines and pamphlets, and appropriate consideration has been given. The final conclusion was that the information currently provided on the subject of post-vasectomy pain was suitable as written.

Thank you,

Karen Psooy, Secretary CUA

Next week, I’m heading down to Florida for microsurgical denervation.  It’ll be paid out of paid out of pocket – insurance won’t touch it.

I’d consider getting it done in Ontario, except I can’t seem to even get call back from the pain management clinic at the hospital.  I’d even appreciate a “sorry – we’re too backed up here – go somewhere else”, but apparently – that’s too much to ask for.

At this point, I’ve had it – so off to America.

Your healthcare system may suck America, but at least they fucking call you back.

Edit: fixed my borked links to the CUA and AUA guidelines

Filed under: vasectomy Tagged: cua aua vasectomy

Read: CUA finally responds

Topic: The JAMA 1984 study Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Python’s lesser known loop control

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use