The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Sloop: Sublanguage for Object Orientation with Prototypes

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Christian Neukirchen

Nickname: chris2

Christian Neukirchen is a student from Biberach, Germany playing and hacking with Ruby.
Sloop: Sublanguage for Object Orientation with Prototypes Posted: Aug 31, 2006 11:13 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Christian Neukirchen.
Original Post: Sloop: Sublanguage for Object Orientation with Prototypes
Feed Title: chris blogs: Ruby stuff
Feed URL: http://chneukirchen.org/blog/category/ruby.atom
Feed Description: a weblog by christian neukirchen - Ruby stuff
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Christian Neukirchen
Latest Posts From chris blogs: Ruby stuff

Advertisement

The first sublanguage I implemented is one for prototype-based object orientation, called Sloop.

Sloop was developed in a fully TDD-style and can be found in my darcs repository.

To show its look and feel, we can implement the canonical example of object orientation, an account.

Account = sloop {
  self.balance = 0

def_deposit  { |v| self.balance += v }
  def_withdraw { |v| self.balance -= v }

def_inspect { "#(an account with $#{balance})" }
}

In Sloop, everything is a first-class object, even methods (unlike Ruby, where only Method objects are first-class). Instead of def_inspect, I also could have written:

self.inspect = Sloop::Method.new { "#(an account with $#{balance})" }

However, the syntactic sugar with def_name is nicer to read and closer to ordinary Ruby.

Look how this code is used:

my_account = Account.clone
p my_account

puts "Depositing $10"
my_account.deposit 10

p my_account

On running, you see the expected output:

#(an account with $0)
Depositing $10
#(an account with $10)

The example however can’t fully show the flexibility of the Sloop object system. Have a look at the Circles and Ellipses example.

As you can see, a Circle really is an Ellipse, but they have different implementations! In fact, since we can change the “class” of objects at run-time, we even could cast Ellipses with the same radii transparently into a Circle (the question is “when?”).

The Sloop object system allows for a lot of other powerful things that don’t fit into this article (and after all, it’s still in development). For now, I refer you to the source and unit tests. (You may be curious about the condition mechanism, for example.)

NP: Spiritualized—I Think I’m in Love

Read: Sloop: Sublanguage for Object Orientation with Prototypes

Topic: The importance of code reviews Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Memory Inspector

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use