The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Recovering Lost Post Data

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Jay Fields

Nickname: jayfields

Jay Fields is a software developer for ThoughtWorks
Recovering Lost Post Data Posted: May 7, 2013 5:11 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Jay Fields.
Original Post: Recovering Lost Post Data
Feed Title: Jay Fields Thoughts
Feed URL: http://blog.jayfields.com/rss.xml
Feed Description: Thoughts on Software Development
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Jay Fields
Latest Posts From Jay Fields Thoughts

Advertisement
I recently typed out a long, thoughtful response in a textarea. I clicked submit, like I've done millions of times, and I got the dreaded "session expired" error message. This happens very, very rarely, but it's devastating when it does. Creating long & thoughtful responses isn't something that comes naturally for me. I crossed my fingers and clicked back. No luck, web 2.0 dynamically created text boxes ensured Chrome had no chance to preserve my editing state.

My first reaction was: I guess I'm not responding after all. Then it occurred to me, DevTools must have my data somewhere, right? Lucky for me, the answer was yes.

There might be easier ways, this is what worked for me:
  • open DevTools
  • go to the "Network" tab.
  • look for the row with the method POST.
    • If you don't see a POST row, try refreshing the page. With any luck you'll get a repost confirmation dialog, giving you some hope that your data is still around. (You'll want to allow the data repost)
  • click on the POST row, and scroll down till you see "Form Data". If you've gotten this far, hopefully you'll find your data in clear text and able to be copied.
The examples from this post are from following the instructions above and logging in to twitter.com. If you've ever lost post data in the past, you may want to give these directions a dry-run now.

Read: Recovering Lost Post Data

Topic: The Amethyst 2 Profiler Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Emacs Lisp: Toggle Between a Clojure String and Keyword

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use