The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
Impressions from the CIO Summit

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Randy Holloway

Nickname: randyh

Randy Holloway is a developer and writer focused on enterprise software.
Impressions from the CIO Summit Posted: Oct 16, 2003 4:52 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Randy Holloway.
Original Post: Impressions from the CIO Summit
Feed Title: Randy Holloway's Weblog
Feed URL: /msdnerror.htm?aspxerrorpath=/rholloway/rss.aspx
Feed Description: Commentary on Yukon, the CLR, and related technologies interspersed with personal opinion.
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Randy Holloway
Latest Posts From Randy Holloway's Weblog

Advertisement
First off, let me say that this is a tough event to blog. The reason for that is that if you're invited to this event as a partner or as a customer, the expectation is that you're going to be marketed to. That's the purpose of the event. Microsoft is positioning their products and services and trying to get IT decision makers to spend money on those offerings. As a person that works with technology, I'm often forced to "cut through the marketing" and to try to really understand what the products can do. So much of what I write here should be viewed through that lense- I'll report on what is going on and my initial impressions and encourage you to evaluate the merit of Microsoft's positions, statements, and strategies.

Eric Rudder, Developer Tools: Eric is a pleasure to listen to. I've seen him a few times before, and he seems to be able to communicate to the audience effectively. Eric talked about the "manual reality" of IT, and pointed out that 60% of the total cost of ownership of an IT investment is driven by people costs. That is a sobering statistic. Eric also talked a lot about Web services, and claimed that there is no market for Web services unless interoperability is there. I would agree, but even if interoperability works the complexity of Web services management and the complexity of dealing with the interoperability issues needs to be reduced in order for Web services to succeed. I'm looking forward to hearing more about this topic at the PDC.

Craig Mundie, Microsoft Research: Craig had a lot of interesting things to say about the work being done by Microsoft Research. Dare and I debated this topic about a year ago, but I still think that Microsoft's research and development initiatives are very interesting and valuable to our industry. Craig talked about society's increasind dependence on industries to invest in research and development. Government and educational institutions are spending increasingly less in these areas and industry is picking up the slack. Some of the technology research concepts discussed involved "high end" audio/video/data integration applications. There was also some interesting hardware that was reviewed as well. Microsoft seems to be doing a lot with hardware, and is really focused more on general technology research rather than software from what I could tell. There were also some interesting UI and "large screen" technologies discussed as well. Craig also talked about organizational policies for software usage and how that ties in to intellectual property. I didn't expect that kind of content to be discussed in his session, but he had some interesting things to say about how to approach using open source software in a commercial environment and intellectual property issues in general. Of course this audience is fairly sympathetic to Microsoft's point of view, being comprised of IT executives, many of whom work for very large companies.

Michael Kropp, Patterns and Practices: To sum it up quickly, Michael did a great job. His talk was very interesting, and Microsoft is really doing something great with their patterns and practices work. This work is much more "technical" than some of the previous efforts that they've made in this area, including Microsoft Solutions Framework and the associated architecture guidance. The current Patterns and Practices material really ties the development process, the technology recommendations, and some very approachable and easy to understand design patterns in a very effective way. Another interesting thing to note here is the work being done on "emerging patterns", addressing areas like Web services and the development of service oriented architectures. This session was very valuable and shows that Microsoft is investing time and effort into work that doesn't translate directly to revenue generation but should provide value to customers.

Read: Impressions from the CIO Summit

Topic: Software Architect Forum Successful! (Updated) Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Being

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use