The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
Steve Swartz reminds us of Indigo's intent

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Scott Hanselman

Nickname: glucopilot

Scott Hanselman is the Chief Architect at Corillian Corporation and the Microsoft RD for Oregon.
Steve Swartz reminds us of Indigo's intent Posted: Oct 29, 2004 5:42 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Scott Hanselman.
Original Post: Steve Swartz reminds us of Indigo's intent
Feed Title: Scott Hanselman's ComputerZen.com
Feed URL: http://radio-weblogs.com/0106747/rss.xml
Feed Description: Scott Hanselman's ComputerZen.com is a .NET/WebServices/XML Weblog. I offer details of obscurities (internals of ASP.NET, WebServices, XML, etc) and best practices from real world scenarios.
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Scott Hanselman
Latest Posts From Scott Hanselman's ComputerZen.com

Advertisement

Steve Swartz, an original COM+ Architect, now an Indigo Architect (who hasn't blogged it seems, in a while) had this to say when presented with some FUD around Indigo and its place in the world. (emphasis is mine)

I would want to differentiate between what Indigo actually is and what I might think of as ideal programming practice.

If you want to pass complex object graphs by value across tiers, you will be able to in Indigo. If you want to share types between client and server, you will be able to in Indigo. If you want to deploy proxy classes in MSI files, you will be able to in Indigo. If you want to marshal around references to service instances, you will be able to in Indigo. Each of these techniques involves additional coupling of one sort or another. Theoretically, minimizing coupling is good. Didactically, people who are teaching other people to program will always take a hard line against coupling. Practically, in the real world there’s always some coupling: how much is a matter of taste and situation.

When you speak about Indigo as a manifestation of a programming ideal (service orientation), it sounds as different from the existing products as a [pneumatic] nail-driver is from a hammer. In fact, Indigo as it feels under your hands is quite similar to the existing technologies.” 

- Steve Swartz in a private listserv 10/2004

>

Read: Steve Swartz reminds us of Indigo's intent

Topic: Improved Google Searching for Microsoft Related Information Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Why don't developers switch/migrate/convert from VB6 to VB.NET?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use