The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Compiling Git on Cygwin

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Thomas Wheeler

Nickname: twheeler

Thomas Wheeler is a Senior Consultant for Improving Enterprises, based in Dallas TX.
Compiling Git on Cygwin Posted: Apr 29, 2013 6:28 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by Thomas Wheeler.
Original Post: Compiling Git on Cygwin
Feed Title: Random Artifacts
Feed URL: http://randomartifacts.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default
Feed Description: Generally about agile, software development, and technical tips with occasional forays into other subjects.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by Thomas Wheeler
Latest Posts From Random Artifacts

Advertisement
First off, if you aren't using Git for your version control needs, you should be. Well alright, that's a little strong -- but if you're still using a non-DVCS (aka centralized) source control system then check it out. Seriously.

Now, on to the main topic of this post. I'm currently doing as much as possible from the Cygwin environment, and so naturally I have installed the Git package and use that instead of the more common (and perfectly usable, BTW) msysGit project. Unfortunately the currently shipping Cygwin version of Git is 1.7.9. That's a few releases old, and it bit me a little when I was Googling to figure out how to set the upstream URL for an existing remote. (The syntax for that command has changed a few times.)

So I thought I'd have a go at compiling the latest sources for Git. It turned out to be quite easy, but if you follow the "recipe" here it might save you a bit of Googling:
  1. Run the Cygwin setup utility and ensure you have the following packages installed:
    • gcc
    • make
    • libiconv
    • python
    • perl
    • gettext
  2. Clone the Git sources with git clone https://github.com/git/git.git. A couple of notes on that with respect to Git configuration:
    1.  Make sure core.autocrlf=false, otherwise you'll end up with DOS style line endings that cause the build to break.
    2. I also had a screwy http.sslcainfo property value; either unset it or point it to /usr/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt.
  3. From your newly cloned git repo, run the following commands:
  4. make configure
    ./configure
    make
    make install
You should be able to run git --version and see something more recent than 1.7.9. (I had to open a new Cygwin console before this exact command worked, but I could run /usr/local/bin/git.exe --version.)

That's all there is to it (see, I told you it was easy). You're now running the latest version of Git. 

Read: Compiling Git on Cygwin

Topic: Turning the Tables in a Scrum Retrospective Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: photostream 45

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use