The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Thoughts on Edward Snowden

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Martin Fowler

Nickname: mfowler

Martin Fowler is an author and loud mouth on software development
Thoughts on Edward Snowden Posted: Jun 10, 2013 8:20 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by Martin Fowler.
Original Post: Thoughts on Edward Snowden
Feed Title: Martin Fowler's Bliki
Feed URL: http://martinfowler.com/feed.atom
Feed Description: A cross between a blog and wiki of my partly-formed ideas on software development
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by Martin Fowler
Latest Posts From Martin Fowler's Bliki

Advertisement

This last weekend was the ThoughtWorks North American awayday. Following the suicide earlier this year of Aaron Swartz, we had a theme around the role of the internet and the software profession to combat overreaching government and corporate power; featuring speeches by Brigitta Jonsdottir, Michael Ratner, and (by video link) Julian Assange. It was merely a happy coincidence that this weekend corresponded with successive leaks of troubling activities by government agencies under the Obama administration.

As I boarded the flight home, I read the news of Edward Snowden’s account of why he made these leaks, and furthermore, why he chose to publicly take responsibility for them. Based on the information I currently have, I am struck with admiration for the courage and thoughtfulness of Edward Snowden’s actions. The path of a whistleblower is not an easy route, because it rests on the difficult dilemma between breaking the trust of the community we work with and our responsibility to our wider community: our country and humanity as a whole. I have had mixed feelings about some of the whistleblowing against the US government in recent years, some cases I’ve admired, but in other cases I’ve felt that the secrets revealed have not measured up to the high standards required by breaking that smaller trust.

In Edward Snowden’s case, these secrets so far have met that high standard. I am concerned both by these actions of the US government and by the secrecy that’s obscured these actions - a secrecy that makes it impossible for we the people to debate the correctness of our representatives’ policies. I hope we the people will support the public servant who put his responsibility to us over the government that serves us.

Read: Thoughts on Edward Snowden

Topic: The Round Walls of UX Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: JAZOON Call for Papers

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use