The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Pragmatic Royaltiesâ€"2013 Edition

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Dave Thomas

Nickname: pragdave

Dave Thomas is...
Pragmatic Royaltiesâ€"2013 Edition Posted: Aug 2, 2013 8:20 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by Dave Thomas.
Original Post: Pragmatic Royaltiesâ€"2013 Edition
Feed Title: PragDave
Feed URL: http://pragdave.blogs.pragprog.com/pragdave/atom.xml
Feed Description: The 'Practices' section of Dave Thomas's blog, including stuff on design, architecture, and the Code Kata exercises.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by Dave Thomas
Latest Posts From PragDave

Advertisement

Back in 2009, I posted a summary of the breakdown of the royalties we paid on our titles. Susannah, our managing editor, has been suggesting for a while that I should update it. I was surprised by what I found.

These pie charts show the percentage of titles that earn royalties in a particular range. (Click on a chart to see a large version.)

6a00d83451c41c69e20120a60845c6970b-800wi

Royalties

Below $10k, the numbers are about the same. That's not surprising—mostly they reflect the vanity titles that were around in 2009. But above the $10k mark, things are a little different.

In 2009, 70% of titles made more than $25k. By 2013, that number has grown to 74%.

In 2009, 41% of titles made over $50k. By 2013, it's 46%.

And while roughly the same percentage of titles made between $75k and $100k (12% in  2009, 13% now), there's a big increase in the $100–$200k wedge, up from 4% to 12%. The only drop at the top is the >$400k wedge, and that simply reflects that we haven't had a title as big as the Rails and Ruby books recently, while the overall number of titles has grown.

These numbers were pleasantly surprising. I know that as a business we are insulated from the plummeting fortunes of more conventional publishers. But I hadn't realized that were were even more attractive to authors now than back in 2009.

Maybe it's time for you to consider writing a book…

Read: Pragmatic Royaltiesâ€"2013 Edition

Topic: Help People Understand How to Use Your Software Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Assess your Scrum Project Status with the Cumulative Flow Diagram

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use