The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Maintainability in Ant build scripts

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Marty Andrews

Nickname: wry

Marty Andrews is an agile coach and developer for Thoughtworks Australia
Maintainability in Ant build scripts Posted: Jul 7, 2004 11:28 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by Marty Andrews.
Original Post: Maintainability in Ant build scripts
Feed Title: Ramblings of the Wry Tradesman
Feed URL: http://www.wrytradesman.com/blog/index.rdf
Feed Description: Marty Andrews talks about the day to day issues he faces as an agile coach on large enterprise applications in Australia.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by Marty Andrews
Latest Posts From Ramblings of the Wry Tradesman

Advertisement

I've worked on dozens of projects that used Ant build scripts, with team sizes ranging from just me to tens of developers. Big projects tend to have big Ant scripts, and they can be a maintenance nightmare. I've developed a structural style for scripts that I find easier to maintain and explain on larger projects.

Take the following Ant script as a typical example.

<project name="foo" basedir="." default="test">
    <target name="init" description="Prepare directories for build">
    </target>

<target name="compile" depends="init" description="Compiles code">
    </target>

<target name="test" depends="compile" description="Tests code">
    </target>
</project>

The script has only three targets in it. All targets have a description, and two of them have a dependancy on another target. Those descriptions and dependancies are scattered throughout the file. It is possible to discover the descriptions of targets publicly available by running ant -projecthelp, and the dependancies will be seen when the script runs, but neither are easily viewable at a glance. This is especially true when your Ant script has grown to hundreds of lines and tens of targets.

Here's the same script modified to follow my different convention

<project name="foo" basedir="." default="test">
    <target name="-init">
    </target>

<target name="-compile">
    </target>

<target name="-test">
    </target>

<!-- Private targets used only for dependancies -->
    <target name="--init"    depends="-init"/>
    <target name="--compile" depends="-init,-compile"/>
    <target name="--test"    depends="--compile,-test">

<!-- Public targets with description -->
    <target name="init"    depends="--init"    description="Prepare directories for build">
    <target name="compile" depends="--compile" description="Compiles code">
    <target name="test"    depends="--test"    description="Tests code">
</project>

Most of the targets in this script are now "private" targets. Basically - anything that starts with a hyphen can't be run on the command line by Ant, as it thinks you are passing a parameter to the Ant script rather than specifying a target. None of these private targets have any dependancies or descriptions.

All dependancies between targets can be seen at a glance in one section. They are again all listed on private targets, but these ones do no work other than describing dependancies.

All descriptions can be seen at a glance in one section. They are listed on public targets, and delegate to a single other private target which handles the dependancies for it.

Thats all there is to it really. The purist in me doesn't like it, because the test target really does depend on the compile target, so thats where it should be listed. My pragmatic side almost always wins though, and I've seen enough confusion in Ant scripts to adopt this pattern for all my new builds.

Read: Maintainability in Ant build scripts

Topic: On cruise control Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: How Bf Synchronization works

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use