The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link •

Design Forum
designing with extension

1 reply on 1 page. Most recent reply: Feb 4, 2003 7:34 PM by Bernard Farrell

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Ramzi Ben Yahia

Posts: 23
Nickname: miccheck
Registered: Jul, 2002

designing with extension Posted: Feb 3, 2003 2:56 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
Hi,
I'm looking for resources and guidelines to help me design and implement a java/swing application which have to support an extension model. I'm willing to separate the application into 3 parts : core, low layer services and plugins. I'll use probably some customized class loaders and I'was wondering if there are some must-know tricks about them.
Thx for your help


Bernard Farrell

Posts: 6
Nickname: bernfarr
Registered: Feb, 2003

Re: designing with extension Posted: Feb 4, 2003 7:34 PM
Reply to this message Reply
I assume that you're looking for a way to develop an application that will allow additional controls to be added to a given dialog, or even additional dialogs to be added.

I'm currently researching the same issue. One tool that I've come across that may provide some of this functionality is Simkin (http://www.simkin.co.uk).

I think this problem will also cause you to think about flexible ways to handle input data validation. I've considered using a Java rules engine. There are several of these around, many of which support the Java Rule Engine API, JSR 94. See http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=094 for more on this.

One article at Artima that is worth reading is Designing with Dynamic Extension at http://www.artima.com/designtechniques/dynaext.html.

Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Topic: Review Java program-Give input Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: rfe.request Java feature. enforce call to super.bar() with 'super' keyword

Sponsored Links



Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use