The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Articles Forum
Linux Clustering with Ruby Queue: Small is Beautiful

6 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Nov 6, 2005 3:46 PM by Zach Dennis

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 6 replies on 1 page
James Britt

Nickname: jbritt

Linux Clustering with Ruby Queue: Small is Beautiful Posted: Oct 9, 2005 9:00 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
Ruby Queue software package lowers the barriers scientists need to overcome in order to realize the power of Linux clusters. The toolset is designed with a K.I.S.S,
research focused, philosophy that enables any ordinary (non-root) user to set
up a zero-admin Linux cluster in 10 minutes or less.

Read this Artima article by Ara T. Howard

http://www.artima.com/rubycs/articles/rubyqueue.html

What do you think about Linux clustering with Ruby?

Jamie Robillard

Nickname: metalii

Re: Linux Clustering with Ruby Queue: Small is Beautiful Posted: Oct 12, 2005 9:58 PM
Great Article. I am currently working on some clustering on my home network. I have a mixed platform environment though. I am considering adapting Ruby Queue to Work on a mixed platform environment. I let you know how my progress goes.

Jamie Robillard

Nickname: metalii

Re: Linux Clustering with Ruby Queue: Small is Beautiful Posted: Oct 12, 2005 10:00 PM
Though it will probably be a few months before I begin. I have some other projects on the que with higher priority. Though I did love your article and the thought of what could be implimented with Ruby Queues.

ara howard

Nickname: ahoward

Re: Linux Clustering with Ruby Queue: Small is Beautiful Posted: Oct 13, 2005 9:39 AM
sounds great. my environment is extremely limited in that i can't get in/out on any ports. making rq be cross platform would be straightforward. essentially you'd want a drb listener that took requests to insert/delete/update jobs and jobrunners would simply connect to it. it would actually be much easier than the nfs approach i had to take due to limited networking. if any other are interested in such a project let me know - other ideas i've talked with people about include a totally decentralized approach where each node was both a job runner and job submitter: each node would manage it's own work queue and return the status of jobs to whomever sent that particular job. it could be quite powerful.

Mark Friedgan

Nickname: hubrix

Re: Linux Clustering with Ruby Queue: Small is Beautiful Posted: Oct 19, 2005 11:47 AM
We have an approach for running large batch job chunks that only involves Drb and a database, no complex NFS setup, we're considering open sourcing it or perhaps selling licenses. Contact me if interested.

ara howard

Nickname: ahoward

Re: Linux Clustering with Ruby Queue: Small is Beautiful Posted: Oct 27, 2005 7:17 AM
hi-

sounds very interesting. does your system work with ssl authentication or through ssh tunnels? if you aren't using nfs, where does the code that is run live - must it be installed locally on all compute nodes? is the database a single point of failure in the setup?

it sounds interesting - i've got a prototype of something similar myself but haven't gotten it running with ssl and resovled the issue of job collection. in any case i'd love to check out the code and/or talk with you about it. feel free to contact me on or offline - ara.t.howard@gmail.com.

regards.

-a

Zach Dennis

Nickname: zdennis

Re: Linux Clustering with Ruby Queue: Small is Beautiful Posted: Nov 6, 2005 3:46 PM
> hi-
>
> sounds very interesting. does your system work with ssl
> authentication or through ssh tunnels? if you aren't
> using nfs, where does the code that is run live - must it
> be installed locally on all compute nodes? is the
> database a single point of failure in the setup?

With urirequire recently released, it doesn't seem long off that a 'dbrequire' would be in the works. All code could live in the database. I don't know what Mark's set up is...but your article has got me thinking... Thanks Ara!

Flat View: This topic has 6 replies on 1 page
Topic: Service-Oriented Java Business Integration Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The Web Within an Arm's Reach

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use