The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Community News
Landon Fuller Ports OpenJDK 6 to OS X

1 reply on 1 page. Most recent reply: Nov 27, 2007 10:36 PM by adrian milliner

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Frank Sommers

Nickname: fsommers

Landon Fuller Ports OpenJDK 6 to OS X Posted: Nov 27, 2007 2:52 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
While Apple has not publicly committed to when, if ever, it will release an official version of JDK 6 on OS X, Landon Fuller took the open-source JDK 6 code and ported much of it to Apple's latest operating system.
Advertisement

Lack of a high-quality JDK 6 for OS X has frustrated many developers, especially since Apple had made all prior JDK versions available on its operating system in a timely manner. Since Sun open-sourced its JDK implementation last year, however, the lack of an official Apple-developed JDK 6 may no longer be a show-stopper for developers wanting to use a Mac as a development platform.

Following on the heels of other JDK 6 porting projects targeting the BSD operating system, Landon Fuller recently made a port of the OpenJDK available for OS X:

I'm pleased to announce the first Developer Preview Release of the open-source port of Java 6 to Mac OS X. This release includes support for 32-bit and 64-bit Intel machines running Mac OS X Leopard (10.5)... (Nearly) everything up to and including Swing (X11) is functional. Sound is not currently supported.

While I've spent some time testing this release with my own projects, this preview release should be considered beta quality. The project is very much in need of additional community testing -- If you're hankering for Java 6, please give this a try...

[The port] is based on the BSD Port of Sun's Java 6 JDK, and is made available under the Java Research License. JDK and Java are trademarks of Sun. Like RedHat, I want to make it exceptionally clear that while [this port] is a port of Java, it is not Sun's Java, JDK, or OpenJDK... By downloading these binaries, you certify that you are a Licensee in good standing under the Java Research License of the Java 2 SDK...

Some features still missing from the port include:

• Sound support.
  • Integration with the Mac OS X certificate store (x509)
  • Support for setting mach thread priority
  • Native Aqua Swing (as opposed to X11). This is a big one, and not likely to be done anytime soon. The effort needs to be led by someone familiar with Cocoa, JNI, and Swing

What do you think of Fuller's port? How important is a high-quality JDK 6 release on OS X for you?

adrian milliner

Nickname: goron

Re: Landon Fuller Ports OpenJDK 6 to OS X Posted: Nov 27, 2007 10:36 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Kudos for doing it, but for me, it's not that important to have Java 6 in my Mac. Like most Java developers, I have to target something that's a little older (Java 5 in my case).

For times when I *do* need Java 6, it's generally tied to also needing XP or Vista, so VMWare comes to the rescue there.

Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Topic: Reengineering Java EE Servers Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The World of ECMAScript

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use