The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Scala Buzz
An IRC Bot in Haskell, 20% code, 80% GRR

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Ricky Clarkson

Nickname: rclarkson

Ricky Clarkson is a salsa-dancing, DJing programmer in Manchester, England.
An IRC Bot in Haskell, 20% code, 80% GRR Posted: Sep 7, 2008 9:41 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Scala Buzz by Ricky Clarkson.
Original Post: An IRC Bot in Haskell, 20% code, 80% GRR
Feed Title: Ricky's technical blog
Feed URL: http://rickyclarkson.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default
Feed Description: A blog about programming languages, and Java.
Latest Scala Buzz Posts
Latest Scala Buzz Posts by Ricky Clarkson
Latest Posts From Ricky's technical blog

Advertisement
I decided to look at Haskell more seriously, after mainly using it to learn functional programming and, well, as a posh calculator. So when I came across Don Stewart's little tutorial on writing an IRC bot, I followed it, but with one use case in mind:

In the #scala channel, often it's handy to display a URL to a bug by its index, particularly as the URLs are a little tricky to remember.

Don's code was excellent, very readable, and on my little Asus EEE, all I had to do besides install ghc6 was to install ghc6-network-dev - for some reason the Xandros packages are quite split up.

All worked fine - I tested it in a private channel, then I wanted to make it work on a remote machine, which Eugene Ciurana lets me use. Eugene is mainly a Java programmer, so he doesn't have Haskell installed at all, and as I write this, it's around 9am on a Sunday his time - I'm not going to bother him!

So I wondered about installing ghc as a user, and downloaded the 64-bit binary distribution for ghc-6.8.3. After extracting it I realised I couldn't see a bin/ directory or similar, so I checked the README file, which pointed me at the INSTALL file. So I typed ./configure --prefix=/home/ricky/ghc/, only to find out that gcc was broken on the machine.

Eugene also lets me use another machine, a 32-bit one, but on there I got this error from ./configure:

"checking for path to top of build tree... utils/pwd/pwd: /lib/i686/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by utils/pwd/pwd)"

dmwit and Heffalump (no, really) from #haskell suggested I try using ghc 6.8.2 instead of 6.8.3, which I am going to try shortly, but I thought of another solution. My little Asus EEE runs ghc (albeit version 6.6) well enough, so I compiled my file. After using gcc on and off for years, I was surprised that ghc 3.hs didn't do anything useful - #haskell suggested ghc --make 3.hs. This produced an executable file called 3, which I promptly ssh'd to both of Eugene's machines. On both it failed because libgmp wasn't present. So I was advised to try ghc --make 3.hs -optl-static - which seemed to almost kill my EEE. But a minute and a half later my EEE returned to its usual speed, last.fm started playing again, and I had a somewhat larger file called 3, which worked on the target machine!

So, if you wander into #scala now and type ~trac 100 it will give you a link to Scala bug report 100.

I spent more than 4 times as long on the config as I did on writing (well, mainly copying, though I copied without a clipboard) the code. Hopefully that will drop next time!

Read: An IRC Bot in Haskell, 20% code, 80% GRR

Topic: HList in Scala Revisited (or Scala Metaprogramming Works!) Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: A Scalable Language, and a Scalable Framework

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use