The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

News & Ideas Forum (Closed for new topic posts)
The Pet Shop Boys

1 reply on 1 page. Most recent reply: Nov 6, 2002 1:13 AM by Berco Beute

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Bill Venners

Nickname: bv

The Pet Shop Boys Posted: Nov 6, 2002 12:54 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
Larry O'Brien writes, "In my experience, one of the two platforms displays a small performance advantage in the majority of programs, a performance advantage which I absolutely, positively believe to be irrelevant to the issue of business performance in an enterprise-level application."

http://www.thinkingin.net/stories/2002/10/31/petShopBoys.html

What do you think of Larry's comments?

Berco Beute

Nickname: berco

Re: The Pet Shop Boys Posted: Nov 6, 2002 1:13 AM
Reply to this message Reply
I think he has enough experience with both platforms to make such a statement, but the question is whether the statement is relevant. I don't really thinks so. As Larry himself mentions, for most applications it won't matter. There is a more important question to be asked regarding this matter: do you choose for one proprietary platform that supports many languages, or one language that supports many platforms?

The answer to this question will have a deeper impact on our futures the questions about minimal differences between platforms.

Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Topic: Coding Your Own Standard and Dynamic MBeans Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Benchmarks Mean Nothing

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use