The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

News & Ideas Forum (Closed for new topic posts)
Coding from Scratch

1 reply on 1 page. Most recent reply: Jan 25, 2003 12:11 PM by Gervase Gallant

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Bill Venners

Nickname: bv

Coding from Scratch Posted: Jan 24, 2003 12:52 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
Read Janice Heiss's interview with Virtual Reality Pioneer Jaron Lanier about his vision of the fundamental changes that are needed in software development.

http://java.sun.com/features/2003/01/lanier_qa1.html

Here is an exerpt:

I think the whole way we write and think about software is wrong. If you look at how things work right now, it's strange -- nobody -- and I mean nobody -- can really create big programs in a reliable way. If we don't find a different way of thinking about and creating software, we will not be writing programs bigger than about 10 million lines of code, no matter how fast our processors become.

This current lack of scalability is a universal burden. There are monopolies in our industry because it's so difficult for anyone to even enter the competition; it's so hard to write large software applications. And that's strange to me. If you look at other things that people build, like oil refineries, or commercial aircraft, we can deal with complexity much more effectively than we can with software. The problem with software is that we've never learned how to control the side effects of choices, which we call bugs. We shouldn't be complacent about that. I still believe that there are ideas waiting to be created, and that someday we will have new ways of writing software that will overcome these problems. And that's my principal professional interest. I want to make a contribution to making bugs go away.

Gervase Gallant

Nickname: gervasegal

Re: Coding from Scratch Posted: Jan 25, 2003 12:11 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Later in this article, Lanier states: " If you think about it, if you make a small change to a program, it can result in an enormous change in what the program does. If nature worked that way, the universe would crash all the time."

What prevents components from becoming bullet-proof subsystems has to do with our application design mindsets. We are so driven by the protocols allowing components to talk to one another, we haven't devoted much intellectual capacity towards making those components truly "evolving" or even half-smart.

Most software can't learn or evolve. Even if it could, persisting the state of this "evolved" software would be difficult. It would be difficult enough, as most languages currently exist, to allow the component to accept "evolutionary" instruction as part of its data inputs. When the application re-started, the component would have to re-learn everything.

For example, I frequently write code that accepts XML-based string inputs that tell my programs to load a type and execute a method we've all agreed on. To tell it to forget the interface and, instead, execute a new set instructions would be an enormous effort. Certainly, persisting this newly evolved entity would be a major chore as well. Already, my humble subsystem component is reaching the gazillion line of code stage.

Still, there's probably nothing that could prevent us from taking the next step towards writing code that had a little more growth potential. If we could stop talking about XML and CORBA and all those wonderful inter-component transfer mechanisms (or to admit that we've solved this problem at least six times... and let's move on.) and to start thinking about how to write software that isn't so profoundly static.

Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Topic: JavaShelf.com Enhances Java Book Price Comparison Services Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Apache Creates Web Services Project

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use