The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

News & Ideas Forum (Closed for new topic posts)
Scripters in the Enterprise

5 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Feb 28, 2003 11:43 AM by TRC

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 5 replies on 1 page
Bill Venners

Nickname: bv

Scripters in the Enterprise Posted: Feb 24, 2003 11:26 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
Chad Dickerson writes, "If you put the world's most talented Java developer and the world's best Perl programmer in a room and gave them an unstructured textual document to parse, I would put my money on the Perl programmer to finish first."

Read this short InfoWorld.com article, Tools for the Short Hike, by Chad Dickerson:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/02/21/08connection_1.html

Here's a longer excerpt:

If you put the world's most talented Java developer and the world's best Perl programmer in a room and gave them an unstructured textual document to parse, I would put my money on the Perl programmer to finish first. When you're going on a one-mile hike, you shouldn't weigh yourself down with a full set of silverware, a saw, scissors, and an inflatable boat just in case you run into a raging river. You take a light backpack, a bottle of water, and a Swiss Army knife. That's the mentality behind scripting -- when going on a one-mile programming hike, the tools for climbing Everest will only weigh you down.

I would recommend to developers that they find a systems and a scripting language they are comfortable with, and get to know them well. The developer can then reach for the most appropriate tool for each particular job. The two languages I reach for most often are Java and Python, and I use them for different kinds of jobs. (In Chad's terms, I tend to use Python for short hikes, Java for longer ones.)

What's your opinion?

TRC

Nickname: bdkr

Re: Scripters in the Enterprise Posted: Feb 25, 2003 7:15 AM
So what is a large website then? A short hike or an expedition? And why would a scripting language NOT be good for the expedition?

Cheers,
Terrence

Bill Venners

Nickname: bv

Re: Scripters in the Enterprise Posted: Feb 25, 2003 8:02 AM
> So what is a large website then? A short hike or an
> expedition? And why would a scripting language NOT be good
> for the expedition?
>
A large website is most likely many short hikes and a few long expeditions. I use both Python and Java behind the scenes at Artima.com, for example, because I have both scripty needs and systemsy needs. I use Python all the time, but I've never written a Python program that's in more than one file. I rarely write a Java program that's just in one file. Also, I tend to write Java in terms of APIs more than apps.

I've met many people who'd rather use a scripting language all the time, and I've met some people who'd rather use a systems language all the time. I think it is a matter of personality and taste. I prefer to use both. That's how I feel most productive.

TRC

Re: Scripters in the Enterprise Posted: Feb 25, 2003 9:10 AM
> A large website is most likely many short hikes and a
> few long expeditions.

This is an awesome answer!

I personally like the idea of using a scripting language then handing off to a compiled language at certain times. Those times would be the expeditions. :-)

Cheers,
Terrence

Anthony Eden

Nickname: aeden

Re: Scripters in the Enterprise Posted: Feb 28, 2003 7:26 AM
I agree with you on this one Bill. The combination of Java and Python for web application development is probably the best combination around, hence JPublish ( http://www.jpublish.org/ ) was spawned.

Personally I also keep Perl handy in my back pocket for those times when I need it.

TRC

Re: Scripters in the Enterprise Posted: Feb 28, 2003 11:43 AM
Please don't take this as adversarial or anything. It's not meant that way. I'm just curious why you consider Java and Python such a good combination. I've been very curious about Python in particular for some time, but also busy with other things.

Cheers,
BDKR

Flat View: This topic has 5 replies on 1 page
Topic: Critical Programmer Personality Traits Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Is Tele-Immersion Hype or Reality?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use