The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

News & Ideas Forum (Closed for new topic posts)
JSR for Review: Micro WSCI Framework for J2ME

1 reply on 1 page. Most recent reply: Apr 18, 2003 1:41 AM by Berco Beute

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Bill Venners

Nickname: bv

JSR for Review: Micro WSCI Framework for J2ME Posted: Apr 16, 2003 6:17 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
JSR 213, Micro WSCI Framework for J2ME, is now available for review. This specification will define an API layer on top of the existing J2ME Web Service stack that implements the 'observable' behavior required of a choreographed Web Service on a J2ME Device.

Download the specification here, where you can also nominate yourself for the expert group:

http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=213

Here's a description of the JSR:

Micro WSCI is a framework that will reside on the J2ME Device, and will act as a lightweight co-ordinator for choregraphed Web services.

Enabling the J2ME Device client for choreographed Web services will empower true P2P collaborations and interactions for complex processes, initiated by the client.

The key features of the Micro WSCI Framework will be:
- WSCI DOM
- Lightweight XML based pull parser and writer
- Lightweight persistence mechanism for long running transactions
- Lightweight observer

What do you think of this JSR?

Berco Beute

Nickname: berco

Re: JSR for Review: Micro WSCI Framework for J2ME Posted: Apr 18, 2003 1:41 AM
Reply to this message Reply
I think it's a good thing that all the API's needed for a J2ME client to cooperate with webservices are bundled in one API. I wonder which XML parser they will use since textparsing was too heavy a job for the old mobile phones. Only with the latest mobile phones XML parsing becomes viable.

It would have been even better if this initiative was an integral part of the new MIDP2.0 API, and not an optional API. That would have secured that all phones were native webservice consumers, now it requires the installation of an optional API, which the vast majority of users will never do.

PS: I a recent mobile phone test I conducted most users didn't even know what the menu entry 'java' stood for. Well, yeah, why should they? NTT DoCoMo uses the name i-Appli for their java applications, maybe SUN should be more proactive in branding 'java' as the name for cool applications on the mobile phone.

Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Topic: For Public Review: Java Technology for the Wireless Industry Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: JSR for Review: Server API for Mobile Services

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use