The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

News & Ideas Forum (Closed for new topic posts)
Is Artima Getting Quieter?

2 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Jun 26, 2003 11:45 PM by Vincent O'Sullivan

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Vincent O'Sullivan

Nickname: vincent

Is Artima Getting Quieter? Posted: Jun 23, 2003 4:31 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
Is something up?

A few months ago Artima.com was an extraordinarily vibrant site. With the addition of the numerous weblogs and interesting interviews, it looked like it was growing exponentially to become a central point of reference for Java, 'Agile', (and similar) developers. But in the last couple of weeks it has become steadily quieter, no interview updates and few weblog entries.

Is everyone on holiday or maybe just Bill? Can the site operate without Bill's personal hand on the tiller?

It's a tad worrying.

Vince.

Bill Venners

Nickname: bv

Re: Is Artima Getting Quieter? Posted: Jun 26, 2003 3:31 PM
> A few months ago Artima.com was an extraordinarily vibrant
> site. With the addition of the numerous weblogs and
> interesting interviews, it looked like it was growing
> exponentially to become a central point of reference for
> Java, 'Agile', (and similar) developers. But in the last
> couple of weeks it has become steadily quieter, no
> interview updates and few weblog entries.
>
There was a couple week lull in weblog posts, but I suspect that's partly because the bloggers were busy. Also, some of the Artima bloggers (me included) got weblogs at java.net, and there was a lot of posting over there during JavaOne week.

I don't require any kind of regular posting schedule of the Artima bloggers. People doing interesting things are busy doing those interesting things, so I figure they'll post as they have time and ideas. So I suspect the blog lull was just a natural statistical cluster of busy schedules. Lately, there has been quite a few interesting weblog posts, so I'd declare the lull over for now. It may come back from time to time, but that's the nature of blogging.

> Is everyone on holiday or maybe just Bill? Can the site
> operate without Bill's personal hand on the tiller?
>
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to go on a real "holiday" for quite some time. I was very busy during JavaOne and the week after marketing the site to potential advertisers. But nevertheless, we didn't miss any week of new articles. Each week there has been a brand new interview installment or feature article. It comes out sometime on Monday itself, so you may have looked bright and early Monday morning and seen the previous week's article still there.

Also, I stopped running consecutive interview installments to mix things up for the reader. The Dave and Andy interview ran for 10 weeks. It was a fantastic interview. I myself got a lot out of it. But it ran so long that it seemed I should rename Artima.com to Dave&Andy.com. I'm currently interleaving interviews of Elliotte Rusty Harold, Bruce Eckel, and James Gosling, so that may have confused some readers.

I've also been very busy the last few months writing software for the Weblogs, News, and Buzz features. Those are all now in place, though I still have a good-size list of enhancements to make, so I'll continue working on them. But with all the marketing and software work I've had to do the past few months, I decided to stop trying to update News & Ideas and the Releases forums regularly for the time being. I will be approving community posts such as this one from you, but probably for the remainder of the summer News & Ideas and Releases may not be updated daily. I do plan to pick it up again once I get through the software crunch, probably in September.

> It's a tad worrying.
>
Thanks for worrying. I do appreciate everyone who comes in here and expresses their opinions. So far the quality of posts in general is very high. I hope it stays that way as long as possible.

Vincent O'Sullivan

Nickname: vincent

Re: Is Artima Getting Quieter? Posted: Jun 26, 2003 11:45 PM
Thanks for your reply. I must admit I regretted sending my email above almost as soon as I hit the send button. Things seemed to spring into life again almost as soon as it went out the door.

It's probably a good thing that weblog posts are as infrequent as they have been. The only thing worse then a sparse weblogs is a verbose one (quality not quantity and all that).

Anyway, keep up the good work (and take a break sometime).

Vince.

PS. If you do take a break, get a stand-in.

Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Topic: A Design Review of JDOM Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The Good, The Bad, and the DOM

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use