The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Any Idiot.

9 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Jul 7, 2005 1:35 PM by aaron black

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 9 replies on 1 page
Robert C. Martin

Nickname: unclebob

Any Idiot. (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Jun 8, 2003 7:03 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
It doesn't take much brains to build a virus. What takes brains is building software that other people want to buy.
Advertisement
Just a rant about the below-average nitwits who build viruses. Any idiot who has the enough neurons to read a manual can cobble together a virus. It's not rocket science. What *does* take brains -- lots of brains -- is building software that other people want to buy. Like I said. Just a rant.

blue lang

Nickname: bluelang

Re: Any Idiot. Posted: Jun 10, 2003 6:01 PM
sounds like somebody forgot to update his definitions today.

Chris Dailey

Nickname: mouse

Re: Any Idiot. Posted: Jun 14, 2003 9:51 AM
So no rant about above-average nitwits who build viruses?

I think building viruses is a skill. I certainly don't care to waste my life building viruses, but different strokes. The bad part is unleashing them into the world.

What does take brains -- lots of brains -- is building operating systems that are not susceptible to viruses. It seems clear that Windows is far from that ideal, and most Unix variants are much better but also far from perfect.

Robert C. Martin

Re: Any Idiot. Posted: Jul 1, 2003 1:58 PM
> sounds like somebody forgot to update his definitions
> today.

No, I was OK. I just read about some new virus that was making the rounds, and it pissed me off.

Robert C. Martin

Re: Any Idiot. Posted: Jul 1, 2003 2:05 PM
> So no rant about above-average nitwits who build viruses?

No. Anyone above average would have the wits not to build viruses. It takes a certain kind of dementia to be that stupid.
>
> I think building viruses is a skill.

So is picking your nose. There are dozens of different techniques. Vast skill can be acquired.

> I certainly don't
> care to waste my life building viruses,

Q.E.D. Writing viruses is a waste of one's life. Only below average nitwits make decisions like that. It doesn't matter how "smart" they are. They're also just plain stupid.

> but different strokes.

No. Tolerance does not extend to willful, wanton, senseless, vandalism.

> The bad part is unleashing them into the world.

So you think Gazoo got a raw deal? "I wasn't actually going to push it."

> What does take brains -- lots of brains -- is building
> operating systems that are not susceptible to viruses.

Y'know what? I doubt that too. I think today's breed of OS's were written at a time when the concept of a virus was nearly unthinkable. However, I don't think it would be that difficult to write a virus invulnerable OS. (For one thing, let's make it impossible for someone to send a VB script in email and run it. -- DUH!)

Jeremy Tipton

Nickname: eshaman

Re: Any Idiot. Posted: Jun 26, 2004 10:51 AM
Perhapd this is rather naive...but.
Why not build an operating system that contains the
bare minimum to get online.
Then burn it in a rom chip?
Or just build a computer with 2 hard drives.
one contains the operating system and is literaly
read only....
the read/write heads are actualy only physicaly able to
read.
And the other hard drive is used for data storage.

Any hardware people, please feel free to e-mail me.
This trivial constant annoyance is beginning to piss me off.

Jeroen Wenting

Nickname: jwenting

Re: Any Idiot. Posted: Jun 30, 2004 4:32 AM
wouldn't help. Most virusses no longer attack the OS directly but target applications running on top of the OS.

How else do you explain virusses targeted on for example cellphones and PDAs which have their OS based in ROM.

And making the OS read-only also means there's no way to configure it. How are your going to get your desktop to contain shortcuts to applications and have stuff start on boot that you use every day? Those are the kind of hooks virusses plug into...

Making a readonly OS also means you have no way to plug what holes and shortcomings are discovered after the machine is purchased unless you dive into the hardware.
No more autoupdating features which now prevent a lot of infections (and would prevent even more if only more people would use them) by the simple expedient that most virusses are released after the virus authors (being the stupid lowlifes they are) hear about a shortcoming only after the update is released (and often from the update site).

Robert, mailclients are applications not operating systems...

bill slouzky

Nickname: virushunt

Re: Any Idiot. Posted: Jan 13, 2005 5:27 PM
well im looking for a virus right now for a friend of mine. hopefully 1 that will fry like 8 computers that are hooked up together. so if you are so smart why dont you make 1 for me? or if you already have 1 can you please give it to me so i can fry all the school computers thanks.

aaron black

Nickname: promethius

Re: Any Idiot. Posted: Jul 7, 2005 1:34 PM
you know, all i've heard about viruses that their bad and stuff! I have yet to see one worm, trojan or any other spyware/adware that actually recognizes other threats and eliminates them. instead of whining and crying do something....GOD shit

aaron black

Nickname: promethius

Re: Any Idiot. Posted: Jul 7, 2005 1:35 PM
sorry about the bad word

Flat View: This topic has 9 replies on 1 page
Topic: Rethinking the Next Heron Release Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: JavaOne 2005, Day 3: Share the News!

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use