The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
3372 Days, 1059 Posts, 2265 Comments, ...

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Weiqi Gao

Nickname: weiqigao

Weiqi Gao is a Java programmer.
3372 Days, 1059 Posts, 2265 Comments, ... Posted: Oct 12, 2012 12:25 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Weiqi Gao.
Original Post: 3372 Days, 1059 Posts, 2265 Comments, ...
Feed Title: Weiqi Gao's Weblog
Feed URL: http://www.weiqigao.com/blog/rss.xml
Feed Description: Sharing My Experience...
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Weiqi Gao
Latest Posts From Weiqi Gao's Weblog

Advertisement

... a time for change.

Remember this:

That was when I started blogging 3372 days ago. Blogging was so new back then the tag I used was "weblog" instead of the newer word "blog". Web 2.0 was all the rage. The term Ajax, as it pertains to web programming, was not even coined yet.

At the hight of my blogging career I was producing 24 posts a month. And now it has dwindled to 0 or 1 a month. Most of my colleagues who once blogged have stopped putting out new posts years ago.

In case you haven't figured it out, I'm pretty slow in abandoning old habits. I went to the brick-and-mortar BlockBuster store last week. I still subscribe to a few NNTP news groups in my Thunderbird. I wrote probably the world's last Windows 3.1 device driver, in 2006, 11 years after Windows 95. And my plan was to keep this blog up forwver.

A couple of weeks ago, I had a DSL outage that took the DSL company four days to resolve. And when service was finally restored, the speed is below 1M, not enough to view online videos. All of a sudden that 30M Charter service looks pretty promising. And I'm going to switch to it.

And there is a chance that this blog might not resurface on the other side of the switch over.

It's always to see an old friend go like this. And it won't be the first time when I was a little emotional about such things.

I thank Eric Burke (whose blog I linked to all the time but all of those links become 404s some years ago) for introducing me to the concept of blogging. I thank simon Brown for writing the Pebble blogging software that I've used since version 1.1. And I thank all the new friends I've met through this blog. It's been fun.

As for material on this blog that you may still want to reference, I trust that the old saying "once on the internet, always on the internet" will keep them somewhere where a Bing search can find them.

If not, you can always get to me through Twitter. There is no easy way for me to figure out when I started using Twitter. The first mention of Twitter on my blog was in 2008. So I should be still on Twitter by, say, 2018, even if everyone else has found the new best thing. Wouldn't a site just like Twitter but allows 280 characters per message do better than Twitter?

Read: 3372 Days, 1059 Posts, 2265 Comments, ...

Topic: Getting started with Scala and Scalatra - Part IV Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: 20 EJB 3.0 Interview Questions and Answers - Java J2EE

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use