The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Desktop Java Live: LayoutManager Multiple Container Questions?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Scott Delap

Nickname: scottdelap

Client / Server application developer.
Desktop Java Live: LayoutManager Multiple Container Questions? Posted: Oct 28, 2004 9:05 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Scott Delap.
Original Post: Desktop Java Live: LayoutManager Multiple Container Questions?
Feed Title: ClientJava.com
Feed URL: http://www.clientjava.com/archives/wireless_mobile.rdf
Feed Description: Client/Desktop Related Java Development
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Scott Delap
Latest Posts From ClientJava.com

Advertisement

At JavaLobby a discussion has been started on LayoutManagers and multiple containers:

Most of the method signatures in the LayoutManager and LayoutManager2 interfaces accept a Container target parameter, for example, the method layoutContainer(Container parent)...

The question is why is the method there if most managers do layout only on a per container basis. Tim Boudreau of Netbeans chimes in and says it is to prevent hackery when it is needed. I can think of a few cases where having a layout manager aware of its parent of container or other containers at a parallel level would be useful. Imagine you have two containers with label/form element pairs. They are split out due to code organization, function, etc. However, in some cases you have them on the same screen. It would be nice if the forms lined up.

I was planning on only writing one custom layout manager in this chapter of the book. However, this has caught my interest. Would it be of use to you the readers if I created a simpled multiple container example as well?

One LayoutManager, multiple containers?

Read: Desktop Java Live: LayoutManager Multiple Container Questions?

Topic: del.icio.us JSP taglib pt 3 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Java still competing with C++

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use