The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Articles Forum
Matz on Craftsmanship

16 replies on 2 pages. Most recent reply: Mar 8, 2004 9:17 PM by Ian Monroe

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 16 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1 2 ]
Dennis Skudney

Nickname: titan

Re: Matz on Craftsmanship Posted: Jan 13, 2004 11:39 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
I really like what Matz has to say, not just about Ruby but about programming and design. I have found many "gems" in your conversations with Matz. Thank You

Ian Monroe

Nickname: eean

Re: Matz on Craftsmanship Posted: Mar 8, 2004 9:17 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Favorite quote:
"'Be lazy. Machines should serve human beings. Often programmers serve machines unconsciously. Let machines serve you. Do everything you can to allow yourself to be lazy.'"
and
"I work very eagerly to be lazy."
Those quotes are going up in Computer Science lab when I get back to school. I shared the latter joke with a non-programmer and it didn't make sense to him... I guess you have to think a certain way for that sentence to not seem contradictory.

I've been reading the Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmer's Guide for the past couple of days. Ruby is really a joy to learn, looks like it will be fun to work with as well. It appears to be perhaps a little over concise (I like code that documents itself... I'm already thinking about how I'm going to have to explicitly comment what all the objects and method arguments do given all the roles they can take in Ruby, not entirely a bad thing). I think its use of passing blocks to functions, while not new to Ruby, is its most unique feature. Due to its easy syntax I can see myself using it routinely, whereas with other languages I use it only when I'm forced to (like telling a button what to do in Java by sending an anonymous class).

Flat View: This topic has 16 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1  2 ]
Topic: CLR Design Choices Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: To Plan or Not to Plan

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use