The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Answers Forum
how to learn java in 2 days

8 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Jun 26, 2003 2:59 PM by Frank Sommers

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 8 replies on 1 page
gaurav kumar

Nickname: tomar

how to learn java in 2 days Posted: Jun 25, 2003 7:42 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
my boss has asked me to learn java in 2 days.
iam an comp.sc. engg. graduate.
my boss has posed a condition on me to learn java in 2 days
and to start working on a project of sun microsystems within a week with the team to which iam assigned.please help me to secure my job.
i will be very thankfull to the one who will help me.
i am ready to work hard,but could not get a headstart.

gaurav kumar

Re: how to learn java in 2 days Posted: Jun 25, 2003 10:31 PM
iam posting for help thrice.
iam in great need for help.
someone please help me out.

Alex S

Nickname: andu

Re: how to learn java in 2 days Posted: Jun 26, 2003 12:49 AM
Try to start with Java Tutorial (from java.sun.com) or with Thinking in Java book, which is free and you can find it on the internet.

Anyway, 1-2 days is a killer deadline for that kind of task ... But your boss just have to know that you succeeded in learning java :) And you will master the language in time...

gaurav kumar

Re: how to learn java in 2 days Posted: Jun 26, 2003 2:20 AM
thanks for the help Alex S.
your help seems life saving to me.
will keep in touch with u.
seeing light on my road to learning java.
will certainly send u some nice code if i ever be able to write some in java.

FEMI FASHAKIN

Nickname: fash1

Re: how to learn java in 2 days Posted: Jun 26, 2003 6:21 AM
I beleive you can learn java in a day with great desperation provided you have knowledge in any other programming language. Your nearest source is to search for a tutorial on internet. However, you will need a book to support. Usually, most java programmers often refer to books. "Java: How to Program" by Dietel and Dietel is a good book.

gaurav kumar

Re: how to learn java in 2 days Posted: Jun 26, 2003 8:49 AM
thanks for the help,with r confidence has given me strength
i will certainly be able to gain something by following ur nice and timely advice.

Matt Gerrans

Nickname: matt

Re: how to learn java in 2 days Posted: Jun 26, 2003 11:58 AM
The Java language is a relatively small thing to learn in comparison to the APIs, especially if you already have a good grasp on a similar language. It is good to always have the API reference handy, so you may want to download that: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/download.html

As for learning a subject quickly, I think the CodeNotes (http://www.codenotes.com/do/books/book?bookID=5) books are excellent for this. The CodeNotes books are the antithesis of the Blah for Idiots books: they assume you are intelligent and can handle a fast-paced coverage of the subject without incessant repetition. They are usually only 200 pages. They are unlike most bloated Java books which try to take up lots of shelf space at the bookstore and appear to be comprehensive by adding lots of pages of filler.

I must say though, that I've read other CodeNotes books, but not the CodeNotes for Java book, so I don't know for sure if it is as good as the others. However, I imagine it is, because they seem to have consistently high standards and stick to their game plan for each subject.

Chris Hartjes

Nickname: bloodshot

Re: how to learn java in 2 days Posted: Jun 26, 2003 1:16 PM
> my boss has asked me to learn java in 2 days.
> iam an comp.sc. engg. graduate.
> my boss has posed a condition on me to learn java in 2
> days
> and to start working on a project of sun microsystems
> within a week with the team to which iam assigned.please
> help me to secure my job.
> i will be very thankfull to the one who will help me.
> i am ready to work hard,but could not get a headstart.

Um, I hate to tell you this but I find it INCREDIBLY unlikely that you can learn enough Java in 2 days to contribute to a project. Working hard isn't going to save you.

I know it sounds harsh, but it's the truth. Personally, I wouldn't want to work for a boss who told me "You have 2 days to learn Technology X or else you're gone."

Frank Sommers

Nickname: fsommers

Re: how to learn java in 2 days Posted: Jun 26, 2003 2:59 PM
If you have a background in computer engineering, it shouldn't be difficult to learn enough Java (the language) to at least follow and understand Java code. While many books are useful, I always find that nothing really substitutes reading the language specification from cover to cover. Again, that assumes that you have a good knowledge and conceptual foundation of programming languages, etc. The Java Language Spec is available for free from the Sun Web site, and it is quite clearly written, with code examples, etc. By its very nature, the language spec is comprehensive, and reading it might actually give you an advantage over those who learned Java "second hand" (from books and tutorials).

By now you probably have a day only, but hope this suggestion helps.

BTW, Java is a relatively small language. Of course, there are many Java APIs, but you might be able to satisfy your boss' requirement with knowing something about the language only.

Flat View: This topic has 8 replies on 1 page
Topic: setLocation Dialog for Center Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Help!!  Sorting two dimensional array.

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use