The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Biscuit : A Parser Framework Based on YARD

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Christopher Diggins

Nickname: cdiggins

Biscuit : A Parser Framework Based on YARD (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Jul 2, 2005 12:00 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
YARD, the compile-time recursive descent parser generation framework has spwaned its first offspring, Biscuit.
Advertisement
Some time ago I introduced a compile-time parser generation library which emulated EBNF (Extended Backus-Naur Form), called the YARD parser ( Yet Another Recursive-Descent parser ).

Well recently someone who goes by the moniker of mb2sync ( his/her Japanese name is unknown to me) has developed an open-source extension of YARD called Biscuit at CodeProject.com ( http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/biscuit.asp ).

Biscuit extends the YARD parser generator by binding with the Boost finite state machine library. Biscuit was developed with the intention of using it to build a lightweight and efficient XML parser. According to mb2sync the YARD parser produced much smaller parsers than the Boost Spirit parsing library, and it did so much more quickly. I maintain that YARD is also more efficient at run-time than Spirit, but I only have performed a few experiements to verify this. Besides, being the original authour I can not be trusted to be unbiased.

I am watching the Biscuit parser project closely, and has a high likely of superceding the YARD parser. I am hoping to use it in the next iteration of the Heron parser, and to aid in its development.

Topic: JavaOne 2005, Day 3: Share the News! Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Decompiling Java

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use