The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Whither Jini?

17 replies on 2 pages. Most recent reply: Aug 5, 2006 1:56 AM by Dan Creswell

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 17 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1 2 ]
Michael Stover

Nickname: mstover

Re: Whither Jini? Posted: Jun 27, 2006 8:34 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
> Jini would work well over a WAN if there existed a public
> infrastructure, much as there is one for IRC or HTTP. If
> there were secure, easy-to-use public Jini lookup
> services, then it would be possible for one to write a
> Jini client with just a few lines of code and invoke
> services available via that public infrastructure.

Why aren't there secure, public jini lookup services being run by the jini group and other jini advocates? That doesn't sound hard to do and would take away so much of the pain of having to run your own lookup services, http jar-serving servers, registry, etc.

Ronald Bowers

Nickname: ronbowers

Re: Whither Jini? Posted: Aug 3, 2006 5:14 AM
We are currently developing a new distributed environment for the esoteric analyses that we do. We began in simple RMI, then transitioned to out-of-the-box Jini. Now I am reimplementing the services as Rio Service Beans. Fortunately, this actually results in a net reduction in code. However, even though Rio simplifies many aspects of Jini development, as Chris points out, it too can be bear to understand. I am the only person on the team who has put in the effort.

Dan Creswell

Nickname: dancres

Re: Whither Jini? Posted: Aug 5, 2006 1:56 AM
Hi Bruce,

I have a couple of questions and some thoughts:

"Jini also needs a better out-of-the-box experience. You should be able to install it and throw together a Jini server and client with only a few simple lines of code and very little research."

What sort of thing were you thinking you would throw together in a few lines - hello world or something else? Perhaps you could enumerate the sort of thing you get with a typical J2EE app server? Incidentally, Jini has an installer these days and even makes great efforts to ensure you have a valid network configuration.

"Here's an example: I've recently been working on a distributed programming problem, and the possibility of using Jini came up. It quickly became obvious that the overhead of implementing the dynamic lookup mechanism -- which is, indeed, a clever and thorough solution to that problem -- was something that we had no idea how long it would take to implement."

Who did you discuss this with? Maybe Bill Venners but I certainly didn't notice a posting to the JINI-USERS list for example where you could've engaged with a bunch of us "Jini zealots".

"Jini, too, has been around for quite awhile and I haven't personally seen or used any Jini-enabled applications (that I know of) and I haven't encountered any problems that have motivated me to go up the Jini learning curve myself."

I have to say, I think that's faulty logic - why do people run up the J2EE learning curve which has got to be at least as tough as learning Jini? Is J2EE really the only way to build an enterprise system? J2EE will have started out small just as Jini has - I'd contend it got mass adoption because it's very much like everything that went before. And that's progress?

Second of all, if you don't take the time to talk to the likes of myself, Mark Brouwer, Gregg Wonderly, Jim Waldo, Brian Murphy, Bob Scheifler etc (all of whom frequent the Jini lists) when trying to get your head around Jini and what you might use it for I can't see how you're doing a fair or valid evaluation.

Thirdly, I've consulted to a number of firms using Jini in finance, pharmaceutical, broadcasting and EAI so it is out there and it is successful.

Finally, as an aside, you'll see lots of elements from Jini appearing in the designs of the likes of Google's systems. That's not to say that Google are doing "a better version of Jini". Rather that some of the design patterns embodied in Jini are proving useful to them. And that is the real essence of Jini, best practice distributed computing patterns distilled into specs, code and frameworks which you can pick and mix as you require.

Flat View: This topic has 17 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1  2 ]
Topic: Whither Jini? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Python 3000 - Adaptation or Generic Functions?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use