The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Ruby and Scala

17 replies on 2 pages. Most recent reply: Apr 8, 2007 11:54 PM by Kaveh Shahbazian

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 17 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1 2 ]
Carsten Saager

Nickname: csar

Re: Ruby and Scala Posted: Dec 5, 2006 1:49 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
> > I found trying to read the Scala docs painful, because
> it
> > is upward compatible with Java

I agree with the first half of the statement - there are many redundancies in the Scale docs and many things left unexplained - the FP aspects are virtually intangible to the majority of the programmers.

> I agree that this is a burden, in particularly for the
> people who have to specify and implement the language.
> But on the other hand, users get full access to the huge
> set of Java libraries and frameworks.

This make the language useful. Even for the folks that stopped reading the Intro after chapter 2 admit that: We have the specific problem that we want our code to be compatible with .NET and Java 2 - Scala opens for us a way to use a modern language without letting this go.

Carsten Saager

Nickname: csar

Re: Ruby and Scala Posted: Dec 5, 2006 1:51 PM
Is Nice still alive? There hasn't been much activity the last few times I checked

Kaveh Shahbazian

Nickname: kaveh

Re: Ruby and Scala Posted: Apr 8, 2007 11:54 PM
I think in languages world Scala and F# are showing how to be, and Ruby is showing how to act.
Ofcourse you need JVM or .NET, you need a big stable framework .

Flat View: This topic has 17 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1  2 ]
Topic: Ruby and Scala Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Code Generation: The Real Lesson of Rails

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use