The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
TurboGears Jam

3 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Feb 20, 2007 8:22 AM by mike bayer

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 3 replies on 1 page
Bruce Eckel

Nickname: beckel

TurboGears Jam (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 9:18 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
Once again, the new workshop format produced an easygoing, fun and educational experience.
Advertisement

Of course, it didn't hurt that Kevin Dangoor (creator of TurboGears) and Mark Ramm (author of the TurboGears book) spent a lot of time with us. Most of Sunday, Kevin walked through a tutorial containing the newest features of TurboGears: SQLAlchemy and the Genshi templating engine.

The group was small but dedicated; I probably had the least TurboGears experience and several people were working on commercial apps. Two had extensive experience. Because it was a small group, we typically went to lunch and dinner together and conversations continued. I found the whole thing to be very valuable, and would consider doing another in Ann Arbor just to have Kevin as a resource. However, I might do it at a time when the weather is more attractive, and Mark Ramm has expressed a strong interest in doing something in Crested Butte, which is always nice.

Although you can still use SQLObject and Kid, Genshi is an improved templating engine over Kid. SQLAlchemy is a pretty amazing design. It hides the underlying database less than SQLObject does, and this may be the same kind of issue as not being able to hide the network when writing networked applications. In SQLAlchemy, you need to explicitly start a session. What's amazing is that all the changes you make during that session are kept in some kind of parse tree, and then when the session ends SQL is created on-the-fly to produce a single, optimal SQL statement for that particular sequence of changes. I found this idea pretty mind-blowing. SQLAlchemy is also significantly more powerful, in general.

Nickname: rhymes

Re: TurboGears Jam Posted: Jan 30, 2007 1:26 PM
A simple question. Why you have chosen TG over Django?

Jaroslaw Zabiello

Nickname: jzabiello

Re: TurboGears Jam Posted: Feb 15, 2007 4:40 AM
Or why not Pylons?

mike bayer

Nickname: zzzeek

Re: TurboGears Jam Posted: Feb 20, 2007 8:22 AM
why does one's non-usage of Django need to be justified ?

Flat View: This topic has 3 replies on 1 page
Topic: TurboGears Jam Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The Great String versus Numeric URL Key Shootout

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use