The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Podcasts I listen to

5 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Jan 2, 2009 10:54 AM by Danyel Lawson

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 5 replies on 1 page
David Goodger

Nickname: goodger

Podcasts I listen to (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Jul 9, 2008 7:57 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
A list of what & why. Mostly tech-oriented 'casts, with the odd, odd exception.
Advertisement

Podcasts (of the audio-only variety) are great for making use of the boring and otherwise mindless time I have to spend: walking to the bus stop, walking between the train station and work, etc. (I don't listen on the train because I value what hearing I have left.) Here are the podcasts I listen to regularly, and some less so.

LugRadio: "Four Large Gents" in England talk about all things Linux, in an often bawdy (bad words are used) and humorous way. "LugRadio Syndrome" often results: laughing out loud on the bus, train, or sidewalk. In their fifth season, they recently marked their 100th podcast. Unfortunately, they have also decided that the fifth season will be their last.

LugRadio is the one that got me started with podcasts. I bought a digital audio player just to listen to it (those adventures are related in "DRM and the 800-pound gorilla").

The Linux Action Show: Bryan & Chris have a show that's similar to LUGRadio, but distinct. Their news docket is useful listening, plus reports, interviews, listener feedback, and rants.

PyCon Podcast: Recordings of talks from past PyCons (Python community conferences). We're still getting our act together for the 2008 material. At the very least, it should be good marketing for PyCon 2009!

Python 411: Hobbyist Ron Stephens talks about points of interest in the Python world. Occasional interviews and guest tutorials. It has been inactive until lately, with one relatively recent episode after several months of silence (Ron has been busy).

SModcast: Movie director Kevin Smith and producer Scott Mosier -- creators of the films Clerks, Chasing Amy, Dogma, and others -- get together and talk about literally anything. Beware: not for the faint of heart. I've learned about some subcultures, fetishes, and perversions that I had no idea existed -- and I'm not sure I wanted to know.

CBC Spark: A short weekly radio show on "tech, trends, and fresh ideas". It often has interesting segments.

stackoverflow: Joel Spolsky (of Joel on Software fame; recommended reading) and Jeff Atwood discuss their upcoming programming Q&A site in weekly phone conversations. A recent addition; so far it's mildly interesting.

Occasional listens:

I'm trying out Ubuntu UK Podcast and Linux Outlaws to fill the void left by LugRadio's departure. Both seem decent. Linux Outlaws may make my regular playlist, and Ubuntu UK Podcast is probably destined for the occasional listen.

What do you listen to?

Mike Pirnat

Nickname: mpirnat

Re: Podcasts I listen to Posted: Jul 9, 2008 9:10 PM
I am utterly addicted to <a href="http://feeds.wnyc.org/radiolab">Radio Lab</a>, which I never manage to catch when it airs on my local NPR station.

Also, I'm not sure I could have survived the hiatus between seasons of "Battlestar Galactica" without the good folks of <a href="http://galacticawatercooler.com/">Galactica Watercooler</a>. (The lack of new BSG until 2009 is presently causing me physical pain.)

dubl paws

Nickname: dublpaws

Re: Podcasts I listen to Posted: Jul 9, 2008 10:59 PM
IT conversations, Off the Hook (2600), Software Engineering Radio, Science Friday.

Bruce Eckel

Nickname: beckel

Re: Podcasts I listen to Posted: Jul 17, 2008 8:20 AM
The Java Posse (http://www.javaposse.com/). This is useful if you're only casually interested in Java, because it provides a way to keep up without much effort. And having four different speakers (and opinions) makes for much more interesting listening.

Jasmeet Bagga

Nickname: jbagga

Re: Podcasts I listen to Posted: Jul 19, 2008 12:22 PM
Amongst tech, I find the SE radio podcast to be the best.
Episodes have enough details so that you have a good
chance of picking up something, but not so much that
you have to sit down and make notes. Other tech podcasts
I listen to are IT conversations (from the Thought works
folks -recommended) , OnSoftware (very short pieces),
arcast with Ron Jacobs (archives )and the polymorphic
podcast.

Besides tech, public radio is a treasure trove of excellent
podcasts. Some that I would recommend,PRI:To the best of
our knowledge, PRI:The changing world, KQED Forum,
Bill Moyers Journal, Commonwealth Club ...
It really is a great way to fill those hours at the the
gym, running etc.

Danyel Lawson

Nickname: freegnu

Re: Podcasts I listen to Posted: Jan 2, 2009 10:54 AM
GeekNights Mondays is probably a good replacement for LUGradio. The banter is inane and the arguments are idiosyncratic. But those two guys actually know what they are talking about when they are on topic.

Flat View: This topic has 5 replies on 1 page
Topic: Ubuntu on the EeePC Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The Adventures of a Pythonista in Schemeland/10

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use