The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Speaking at a Castle in Denmark

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Bruce Eckel

Nickname: beckel

Speaking at a Castle in Denmark (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 4:37 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
I will be giving two presentations at the annual conference of Javagruppen, the Danish Java user group, January 9-10 at the Hindsgavl Castle.
Advertisement

This is billed as "a small and cozy Java conference." That, and the fact that it takes place in a castle (OK, I don't see any turrets or a moat, either, but it still looks pretty interesting) attracted me to this event. Despite what you might imagine, traveling internationally to speak at conferences is not particularly profitable, especially when you include the preparation, travel and recovery time, so I've started only going to events that look like they are going to be enjoyable, special and interesting. The Python Conference in Brazil, for example, definitely met all those criteria, and they treated me like visiting royalty.

My presentation topics will be:

• The Future is Hybrid, Part I: Hybrid GUIs for Desktop Java Applications. Based on my arguments in Hybridizing Java, I show how easy it is to create Flash UIs for Java desktop applications. We'll walk through the creation of an application using free development tools.
  • The Future is Hybrid, Part II: Dynamic Languages on the JVM (Featuring Jython). I make the case that programmers can be far more productive by using higher-level languages that leverage the JVM and existing Java libraries. I'll introduce the Python language and show how Jython (Python on the JVM) can be used to rapidly create applications.

Here is the link to the JavaGruppen site, and here is the direct link to the conference. Other speakers at the conference include Rickard Öberg, Neal Ford, and Guillaume Laforge.

I'll be in Copenhagen, adjusting to jet lag and being a tourist on the 7th until the afternoon of the 8th. I can probably do a book signing or something similar on the evening of the 7th, so if you are in a position to arrange such a thing, or you have other ideas (I'm always up for a bit of Python consulting, for example), please contact me.

Topic: Things I Learned at QCon Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: What about a decorator module version 3.0?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use