The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
New Book: First Steps in Flex Now Available

3 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Feb 1, 2009 8:35 AM by Flex Java

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 3 replies on 1 page
Bruce Eckel

Nickname: beckel

New Book: First Steps in Flex Now Available (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 1:15 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
James Ward (Adobe evangelist for Flex) and I have coauthored a book to rapidly bring programmers into the world of Flex. Our primary intent was to make the book small (only 140 pages), with short, pithy chapters, to lower the hurdles to learning this powerful GUI system.
Advertisement

The book is only available in print, and initially only from this site where you can find out more about it, see samples, and order the book.

Ben Geyer

Nickname: geyerba

Re: New Book: First Steps in Flex Now Available Posted: Dec 12, 2008 6:40 AM
Looks interesting. James, didn't you take that picture used on the front cover in Switzerland last year?

It's been a little while since I bought a thinner book, but in looking through my bookshelf it looks like this is priced a little on the high side.

Presentation Zen is at $19.79 + shipping and is about 240 pages.

Extreme Programming Explained is $32 + free shipping and is about 220 pages.

Probably I'm just behind the times on prices. And of course more pages doesn't always mean better.

James Ward

Nickname: jlward4th

Re: New Book: First Steps in Flex Now Available Posted: Dec 13, 2008 1:01 PM
Hi Ben,

My friend Matt Coleman took the picture in the Italian Dolomites.

As far as price goes... I once bought a copy of Thinking in Java on eBay for a penny. Best part was that I did it while co-presenting with Bruce. :)

-James

Flex Java

Nickname: flexjava

Re: New Book: First Steps in Flex Now Available Posted: Feb 1, 2009 8:35 AM
Bruce,

I'm definitely glad that you took the time to write a Flex book. Ever since your post on "Hybridizing Java" back in 2007, I was hoping that you would write a "Thinking in Flex" book or something like that.

I'm curious on your thoughts if you updated your "Hybriding Java" ideas to match what's has changed since 2007 for desktop applications. If you ask me, since Flex and AMF3 are opensource, Sun should focus less on Java FX and create a Flex rendering layer above the JVM for desktop applications. Sony Ericsson has already done this with Project Capuchin for mobile devices, so it's definitey possible. Can you imagine the possibilities of Sun did this?

So, if you were to write a "Hybriding Java in 2009" post, what do you think Sun should do?

Thanks,

flaxjava

Flat View: This topic has 3 replies on 1 page
Topic: The Manga Guide to Databases Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Becoming a Grass Farmer

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use