The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Low Tech Beats High Tech, Hands Down

26 replies on 2 pages. Most recent reply: Apr 13, 2004 10:49 AM by Matt Gerrans

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 26 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1 2 ]
Sherry

Nickname: internetda

Re: Low Tech Beats High Tech, Hands Down Posted: Aug 23, 2004 10:28 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
> Matt:
>
> I would like to ask about your intentions when programming
> files for HP such as KillWind, Terminator, etc.
>
> My mother has an HP - she was told after a scan that she
> had a virus in her HP/bin folder. This has caused her
> enough stress that she would like to throw her computer
> out. I have researched many articles and discussion boards
> regarding this issue - some say you have a great sense of
> humor. I feel it was a poor judgment – especially when it
> comes to individuals who are already nervous about sharing
> information over the internet. It has taken me several
> years to talk my mother into getting modern – she had a
> general fear of technology – it took her just as long to
> get a VCR!
>
> I would like to suppress my mothers fears and delete these
> files from her system, and since you were the designer of
> these files I would appreciate your help in doing so
> safely along with any other files that are not needed and
> have scripting such as “will destroy and assassinate all
> window files and components”.
>
> For a man with an educated rhetoric and articulation
> skill; one that has rewarded you a “spot” on a technical
> web-site I am appalled at the content of the property
> values within your files. Please advise me on the possible
> deletion and the importance of these files.
>
> Thank you for your time and prompt attention to this
> matter. The quicker I can solve this the better off my
> mother will feel.
>
> Jennifer

Jennifer,

Did you ever get an answer from Matt? I am having the same problem.

Sherry

Re: Low Tech Beats High Tech, Hands Down Posted: Aug 23, 2004 10:35 PM
> I bought a used HP Pavilion that has always been buggy. I
> found 4 files, authored by Matt Gerrans, doing business as
> Key Concepts Inc. that promise to corrupt any windows
> operating system. They are called ProcKill-T, Terminator
> and other ill-meaning names. They cannot be cleaned,
> deleted or quarantined. They badly corrupt my system. They
> were installed around 1999 in the
> C:\_RESTORE\TEMP\A010ETC.
>
> Matt, if you wrote this malicious code, I need to know how
> to get rid of it without losing all my files. The
> California Attorney General and your former employers at
> HP may be very interested in this issue also.
>
> I shall give you the benefit of the doubt and assume
> someone has used your good name to wreak this time-wasting
> havoc. I shall further assume you've been cleared of any
> wrongdoing and that a fix is available.
>
> If, in fact, you are the author of the malicious code, I
> will not rest till I see you stand before a judge to
> answer for your misconduct.
>
> If any other readers have any info on this HP problem,
> please inform me. If I'm wrong I'll readily admit it.
>
> Thank you
>
> Rontron

Rontron,

Has Matt ever answered you or did you get them deleted? My system has been acting up for a few weeks now. When I am in the middle of something, all my windows close for no reason, then I usually have to reboot to get a browser window back up. I accidentally found this file tonight when I was just looking through my files with Norton do see what can be deleted. Before I deleted I did a search to learn something about it and this is the first site I found, so now I am afraid to delete it and don't even know if the Terminator is what is causing the problem, but odds are, it is. If Matt is responsible for this, the attorney general definately needs to know.

Sherry

Sherry

Re: Low Tech Beats High Tech, Hands Down Posted: Aug 23, 2004 10:38 PM
Has Matt ever answered you or did you get them deleted? My system has been acting up for a few weeks now. When I am in the middle of something, all my windows close for no reason, then I usually have to reboot to get a browser window back up. I accidentally found this file tonight when I was just looking through my files with Norton do see what can be deleted. Before I deleted I did a search to learn something about it and this is the first site I found, so now I am afraid to delete it and don't even know if the Terminator is what is causing the problem, but odds are, it is. If Matt is responsible for this, the attorney general definately needs to know.

Sherry

Sherry

Terminator has its own web site! Posted: Aug 23, 2004 10:53 PM
After posting at this forum, I continued my search on the web and actually found that the problem I have been having for months, was, IN FACT, caused by Terminator. I will be working and all of a sudden all of my windows either close or freeze for no reason. Sometimes I can do a control, alt, delete and end them all and start over, (even though I lost my work!) most times, I have to reboot my computer. Matt apparently wrote this program as freeware and to get support you have to send him $5.00 He thinks it is a good thing that it shuts your windows down, in case you forget. What I would like to know now, is how it got on my computer without getting caught downloading itself! Not too cool, MATT, to have software download behind the scenes. Is that how MATT makes his money? Distributing FREEWARE that might as well be a virus and then charging people for support. Anyway, go to these two sites and good luck to all of you!
Sherry
http://www.webuser.co.uk/cgi-bin/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=security&Number=85541&page=7&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&part=

http://www.clickomania.ch/progs/Terminator.htm

Matt Gerrans

Nickname: matt

Re: Terminator has its own web site! Posted: Aug 24, 2004 9:50 AM
Sherry,

Pretty much everything you have claimed is false.

While I did write a program called Terminator that can be found in the c:\hp\bin directory of most HP and Compaq computers, it is not at all dangerous and moreover, doesn't run on its own. It is only used by installer programs when you re-install a piece of software, using the Application Recovery feature. It can be used to close one program and that's how the installer uses it. For example, if you want to re-install WinDVD, the installer might first call Terminator, asking it to close WinDvd (if it is running), before trying to re-install it. By itself, my program does nothing; even if you run it, it will only show you how to use it, but not actually do anything. I wrote it and many of the others in the c:\hp\bin directory for HP, as part of the process that sets up all the software on the computer at the factory and allows for recovery subsequently.

By the way, any program can become infected by a virus, but none of the programs I've written are viruses. Any one of them could be infected by a virus, just like any other program, but they are not themselves viruses.

The Terminator in the second link you give is not my program and has absolutely nothing to do with me. The window title "Mattias Utilities: Terminator" is an unfortunate coincidence that probably leads to further confirmation of your fears, but my name is not "Mattias" -- that is another person and it is a different program (with the same name). The one I wrote is not freeware and does not shutdown Windows. I don't offer support for it and I don't solicit or accept $5.00 payments for it.

There is nothing stopping you from deleting Terminator, if you want to.

When this OT thread started here, I started a lengthy description of Terminator (mine, not the other one), Killwind, Spawn, Sleep, cloaker, fondlewindow and all the other utility programs in c:\hp\bin, but I've been too busy to get it finished. I'll finish it up and put a link to it here soon.

I've also asked HP to add a FAQ or a page describing these things (and even offered to write it up) somewhere in their support area, but they've not done it. I'll keep trying, because I think HP's web site is the best place for such information.

More to come...

Sherry

Re: Terminator has its own web site! Posted: Aug 24, 2004 10:36 AM
> Sherry,
>
> Pretty much everything you have claimed is false.
>
> While I did write a program called Terminator that can be
> found in the c:\hp\bin directory of most HP and Compaq
> computers, it is not at all dangerous and moreover,
> doesn't run on its own. It is only used by installer
> programs when you re-install a piece of software, using
> the Application Recovery feature. It can be used to
> close one program and that's how the installer uses it.
> For example, if you want to re-install WinDVD, the
> he installer might first call Terminator, asking it to
> close WinDvd (if it is running), before trying to
> re-install it. By itself, my program does nothing; even
> if you run it, it will only show you how to use it, but
> not actually do anything. I wrote it and many of the
> others in the c:\hp\bin directory for HP, as part of the
> process that sets up all the software on the computer at
> the factory and allows for recovery subsequently.
>
> By the way, any program can become infected by a virus,
> but none of the programs I've written are viruses. Any
> one of them could be infected by a virus, just like any
> other program, but they are not themselves viruses.
>
> The Terminator in the second link you give is not my
> program and has absolutely nothing to do with me. The
> window title "Mattias Utilities: Terminator" is an
> unfortunate coincidence that probably leads to further
> confirmation of your fears, but my name is not "Mattias"
> -- that is another person and it is a different program
> (with the same name). The one I wrote is not freeware
> and does not shutdown Windows. I don't offer support for
> it and I don't solicit or accept $5.00 payments for it.
>
> There is nothing stopping you from deleting Terminator, if
> you want to.
>
> When this OT thread started here, I started a lengthy
> description of Terminator (mine, not the other one),
> Killwind, Spawn, Sleep, cloaker, fondlewindow and all the
> other utility programs in c:\hp\bin, but I've been too
> busy to get it finished. I'll finish it up and put a
> link to it here soon.
>
> I've also asked HP to add a FAQ or a page describing these
> things (and even offered to write it up) somewhere in
> their support area, but they've not done it. I'll keep
> trying, because I think HP's web site is the best place
> for such information.
>
> More to come...

It looks like I owe you an apology, but it is a coincidence and now, since I found out it was there and removed it, this is the first time in months I have been able to work with several windows open and not have to worry about the windows closing and loosing my work. I am glad I finally discovered what was making my computer freeze and shut down AND again, I do apologize, because you have to admit, it is a coincidence and I thank you for taking the time to clarify the issue. Good luck with getting HP to post this for you.

Sherry

Matt Gerrans

Nickname: matt

Re: Terminator has its own web site! Posted: Aug 24, 2004 12:24 PM
I am to blame for using ominous sounding names like "KillWind" and "Terminator" along with silly version comments -- and I have learned a lesson; I'm going to post a new blog (hopefully pretty soon) on that subject. It'll be something along the lines of "Choose your program names judiciously, even if you think they'll only ever be internal-use programs." When I wrote most of these programs, I wasn't expecting that they'd be released to a large audience, so I wasn't too careful about their names; later they got included in more general releases. (By the way, the name "Terminator" came from the fact that the program uses the Windows API call TerminateProcess() to close a program that won't close when it is sent a close request (which KillWind does, by sending a WM_CLOSE message)).

In fact, if you look on a new HP machine, you'll find the same programs, but the comments in the properties have been change to be much more innocuous.

Another problem that exacerbated the whole thing was that McAfee and Norton Antivirus both at different times have incorrectly flagged various of these utilities as suspicious (I'm not sure whether their virus-detecting "algorithm" simply triggers on certain words like "kill" or "terminate" or whether they are tipped off the fact that a program calls certain Windows API calls found in a program -- either way, it doesn't give me much confidence in the integrity of their scanning).

Anyway, as noted above, I'll be posting a more detailed and complete treatment of the whole subject.

Terri Currie

Nickname: terri

Re: Terminator has its own web site! Posted: Mar 17, 2005 8:27 AM
Matt,

Do you have a comprehensive explanation on this now? I ran Mcafee and have 2 files that came up as "potentially unwanted programs": hp\bin\FondleWindow.exe & hp\bin\Terminatoer.exe - I just signed up on this site, and maybe I just haven't looked in the right place to find the answer...if that's the case, I apologize, but can you let me know where to go to find the answers I need.

Thanks,

Terri

Nickname: guest

Re: Terminator has its own web site! Posted: Jun 17, 2005 10:46 AM
Hi there,
I would actually LOVE to have the killwind.exe and terminator.exe -- they are very very useful programs!
so, if anyone could email it to me..:
bru@gmx.li

PLEASE!

thanks a lot =)

Kathy Holland

Nickname: kathol

Re: Low Tech Beats High Tech, Hands Down Posted: Aug 26, 2007 7:48 AM
What should I do now that I wiped terminator.exe with my AVG? Is my computer not going to work correctly now?

Kat

Vincent O'Sullivan

Nickname: vincent

Re: Low Tech Beats High Tech, Hands Down Posted: Aug 27, 2007 4:17 AM
The previous entry may have been made on Aug 24 but that was Aug 24 2004, not last week. I doubt you'll get a reply now.

yes yes

Nickname: nifty0my0a

Re: Low Tech Beats High Tech, Hands Down Posted: Dec 13, 2008 6:07 AM
I too have run into this problem, and more than eight years later. I've found similar files in hp/bin, as well as processlogger.exe with the internal name "chupacabra." If anyone can help me out with this, please reply.

Flat View: This topic has 26 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1  2 ]
Topic: Google Adwords: Stick with "Adwords Basic" Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: JavaPosse Roundup 2009 Dates Set

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use