The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Day One @J1

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Sean Landis

Nickname: seanl

Day One @J1 (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Jun 28, 2004 1:12 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
Huge adoption numbers, Tiger improvements, and the next Sun targets highlight the first day.
Advertisement
The Opening general session focused on the rather huge Java adoption numbers in various markets under the banner of ubiquity. Schwartz emphasized how the Java monetization engine works despite Wall Street's lack of understanding. The adoption numbers Jonathan threw out were awesome: 100's of millions of units in various markets. Very impressive.

Sun showed how J2ME has really taken off and demo'd some cool apps. The interesting thing to me was the definition of their next target. Two years agove Sun targeted small devices, now they are going after the auto industry. This is a next logical step and a really exciting one because inevitably we will then see a merging of the various spaces we move trhough: home, office, auto, mobile. I always take this stuff with a chunk of salt, but watching the progress the last few years, I really do believe we are not far from a ubiquitous world. One that actually adds value - no less.

The pavilion is about the same as last year, smaller than some previous years, but well represented. Many of the small companies appear to be sticking around - a good thing. One interesting company is a partnership between Nokia and Sega who are delivering a multiplayer gaming platform.

The one disappointment was that I found out Sun has decided to relieve speakers of their alumni status. That's very lame. An official did give me some suggestions on getting around this and I'll give them I try. I hate it when things get taken away - even if they really aren't mine to begin with.

Topic: Announcing The C++ Source Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Need a napkin?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use