The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Wow, XML standards really are simple after all

3 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Jul 1, 2003 6:57 AM by Paul Wujek

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 3 replies on 1 page
Sean Neville

Nickname: psneville

Wow, XML standards really are simple after all (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Jun 30, 2003 4:55 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
Confused by the chaotic maelstrom of XML specifications coursing through all those standards organizations? Take a look at this, and enlightenment will follow...
Advertisement

This diagram puts it all into perspective, doesn't it. Sheesh.

Ok, sarcasm again. We can't seriously expect typical developers to make sense of this stuff, even those who just love to read specs. But for a giggle, try this piece of humor I picked up from a friend at Sun -- show that diagram to your hardware engineer friends and bask in the reaction: "Hey, a schematic! I think those software XML guys are really on to something!"

Steve Holden

Nickname: holdenweb

Re: Wow, XML standards really are simple after all Posted: Jun 30, 2003 5:28 AM
Well, the only thing wrong with the diagram that I can see is the "last updated" date, which should clearly have been 18 days earlier.

regards
Steve

James Britt

Nickname: jamesbritt

Re: Wow, XML standards really are simple after all Posted: Jun 30, 2003 6:45 AM
First, why does the diagram contain things such as JPEG and GIF? Second, and more significant, XML is, like, *extensible*, so (and I wish I could recall who made this observation first) listing all the specs based on XML is like listing all the specs based on ASCII.

Paul Wujek

Nickname: pw

Re: Wow, XML standards really are simple after all Posted: Jul 1, 2003 6:57 AM
This looks incomplete, at least, they only put in XML Schema, they left out all the other schema variants (Relax NG, Schematron, etc.)

Flat View: This topic has 3 replies on 1 page
Topic: A Grand Unified Theory of Distributed Applications for Java Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Java Is a Language for the Masses

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use