The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Computer Science Patents - Patented Absurdity

2 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Nov 30, 2004 3:03 AM by Petr Prikryl

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Christopher Diggins

Nickname: cdiggins

Computer Science Patents - Patented Absurdity (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Nov 24, 2004 12:29 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
So Microsoft has applied for a new patent on the IS NOT operator in Visual Basic. I hope it is accepted, so I can openly and flagrantly violate the patent in my language, Heron.
Advertisement
It is hard for me to put into words the sheer absurdity of patents on algorithms. It both infuriates and amuses me. I think the best thing to do is to not give in to the fear that companies attempt to instill in us through abuse of the legal system. The only way to fight tyranny is to challenge it.

To this end, I plan on incorporating the IS NOT operator into Heron if Microsoft succeeds in patenting it. Let them come after me. Mind you they might have trouble dragging me across the border ;-)

Links:

Dee Zsombor

Nickname: zsombor

Re: Computer Science Patents - Patented Absurdity Posted: Nov 25, 2004 1:15 AM
Patenting algorithms, syntactic constructs or non-tangible things such as ways of performing actions or doing business is absurd. Personally I hope that few attempts like these will succeed. Although in my limited ability to parse legalese wording from the application, I would suspect that patent would be applicable to only BASIC derivate languages. How would you violate it with Heron?

Petr Prikryl

Nickname: petr

Re: Computer Science Patents - Patented Absurdity Posted: Nov 30, 2004 3:03 AM
The Python language already uses "is not" operator.

Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Topic: OOP Case Study: The Bank Account Class (Part 3) Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The Difference Between Contract Violations and Exceptional Cases

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use