The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Python Buzz Forum
Building a proper Python API

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Aaron Brady

Nickname: insommeuk

Aaron Brady is lead developer for Crestsource
Building a proper Python API Posted: Apr 4, 2009 3:54 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Python Buzz by Aaron Brady.
Original Post: Building a proper Python API
Feed Title: insom.me.uk
Feed URL: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/insommeuk
Feed Description: Posts related to using Python. Some tricks and tips, observations, hacks, and the Brand New Things.
Latest Python Buzz Posts
Latest Python Buzz Posts by Aaron Brady
Latest Posts From insom.me.uk

Advertisement

I have now spent the last two hours reading up on Planet Python. I promised in a previous post (lots of P’s!) that I would try and rejoin the community, and reading other people’s output is obviously a big part of that.

In the time that it took me to catch up on 482 posts (one of which, about half-way, was my own previous post) 7 new ones came in. Active community!

As I’ve been working on an internal to iWeb project called “Parasite” for automating sysadmin tasks, I’ve gotten to write more Python code than usual, and it’s been done in the form of a proper library.

This is a bit of a first for me because for as long as I’ve been doing Python my code has fallen into two major camps: quick hack (one or two scripts) and web application (where the layout is defined by the framework I’m using, Quixote, web.py or even cgi).

In doing this, two posts I read were particularly interesting; Titus’s post about kwargs and Adam Pletcher’s post about his cheat sheet.

Titus’s post is interesting because I’ve committed that sin in my own API; I make a call to a method which calls a method which calls a method which takes a bunch of optional arguments, and I use nested **kwargs to pull it off. Exactly as the man says, it’s both very difficult to test (typos are silently ignored) and very difficult for another developer to parse (ctags may be your friend).

Adam’s post interested me because he cites list comprehensions, and then map and filter. My immediate thought (and going through the comments, several other people’s thought) was that map and filter can be done quite happily with list (or generator) expressions.

I’m now finding in my code that I massively over-use list and generator expressions. I have to actively think “someone else will have to read this some day” and then go back and break nested expressions out into temporary variables or for loops.

They are the number one feature that I think I miss when programming in not-Python.

My final interesting experience in designing a library is that, although I know you need a init.py file to create a package, I still don’t truly know what’s appropriate to put in there. Do you import each library in there, so people don’t import libraries one by one? Or store global configuration variables (yes, not thread-safe, I know).

There doesn’t seem to be a lot of consensus based on the libraries I have installed either, so perhaps this is one of those “do what feels right” situations.

Read: Building a proper Python API

Topic: Building a proper Python API Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: To the entire Python community: www.buildout.org is ready!

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use