The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
Kent Beck Interview

1 reply on 1 page. Most recent reply: Jun 4, 2019 3:01 AM by Alex Mathew

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Brad Wilson

Nickname: dotnetguy

Brad Wilson is CTO of OneVoyce, Inc.
Kent Beck Interview Posted: Jul 10, 2003 5:46 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Brad Wilson.
Original Post: Kent Beck Interview
Feed Title: The .NET Guy
Feed URL: /error.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/dotnetguy/Rss.aspx
Feed Description: A personal blog about technology in general, .NET in specific, and when all else fails, the real world.
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Brad Wilson
Latest Posts From The .NET Guy

Advertisement

DeveloperWorks has an interview with Kent Beck posted. At the end, he says something that just really resonates with my displeasure with PCs in general and Microsoft in particular:

dW: What do you think about software quality?

Beck: I wish developers would consider the enormous consequences of their actions. When I got my driver's license at 16, I was both elated and terrified; I had newfound freedom and responsibilities to go with it. Now, compare that feeling to when Microsoft sends me a new operating system. Do I have the same feeling? No, I think it's going to screw up my life for months. For how many decades and for how many millions of people has that negative emotion been created around software. I think it's such a shame we set our sights so low. Either you're stuck with software that works the way it works because you don't want to break it, or you get an upgrade that causes pain and anguish. I just want my stupid computer to work and it doesn't. That's not computing.

That we accept the status quo says such negative things about us as humans. If our laptops degrade at half the pace as before, that isn't progress. Sucks less isn't progress. What would it be like if you bought new software and you had that sense of increased responsibilities but also of infinite vistas? Our ambitions are so, so small compared to the opportunity.

He also talks about XP's beginnings in 1996 at Chrysler. We're using most of XP full time, and we'll be using it all as soon as we have enough people. It's really done wonders for us for project management, and I can't wait to see how much it helps developer productivity when we have full time pair programming.

Read: Kent Beck Interview

Alex Mathew

Nickname: alexmathew

Re: Kent Beck Interview Posted: Jun 4, 2019 3:01 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Thank you for the information. as a Red Hat Certified Engineer, I always support and say that Linux will be the secure / Major OS that is used in the server side.

RHEL / CentOS / Cloud Linux any one of these will be used in most of the Linux servers. Linux is using around 60% - 70% as server Side

https://www.ipsr.edu.in/rhce.html

Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Topic: Telecommuting Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Event Sourced Aggregates Part 4: Smart command handlers

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use