This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Perl Buzz
by Chris Winters.
Original Post: YAPC thoughts and machine envy
Feed Title: cwinters.com
Feed URL: http://www.cwinters.com/raw/cwinters_perl.rdf
Feed Description: Chris Winters on Perl, programming and technology
First: YAPC was excellent. I'm still not very good at walking up to
people and saying "Hi, I'm Chris" and striking up random
conversations, but that gets better with practice. (Answer: attend
more conferences!) It also gets better with more beer. (Answer: drink more beer!)
I got to meet James and a
number of folks from Fotango which was cool. I missed Leon's talk, but James gave a great
presentation on how they built a large project in Perl (93 KLOC, which
is probably more like 500+ KLOC in Java based on my experience) using
a small team, agile development practices, honesty, trust,
responsibility while still spinning out open source products. I felt
like a fanboy: "This is how things should be!" But I also appreciated
that he didn't present The One Way or The Easy Way. In fact he pointed out the importance of certain
fundemental practices, saying if you don't do X then you might as well
not bother with the whole thing because nothing will work.
One of the more useful things James did was stress people above
process. He didn't explicitly make this comparison (I think) but it was threaded throughout. This is something Kent Beck does throughout the first XP book: none of these agile practices will work if there's no trust among the developers, between the developers and customer, between the developers and management. None. The process relies on everyone being good at what they do and a professional. Similarly, you can't play the blame game and people have to accept responsibility for what they did (or did not) do. It's a bit sobering to hear that certain necessary aspects for the team to gel simply can't be taught.
Also excellent was hearing about how the team's production of open
source software (that is, making certain parts of the product into
components reusable by anyone) actually enhanced the quality of
the components. I thought he could have stressed how this takes
advantage of programmers' generally enormous egos (or, if you don't
want to be inflammatory, pride), but still excellent.
I had a few other reactions to this as well, mostly about
nontechnical implementation issues, but I'll have to sort those out
over some time. We'll see. The only real downside (which isn't really) to the talk is that Fotango is now at the top of my "Places I'd love to work" list. You don't want to get too many places on that list...
The Kwiki was a fantastic
idea and hugely useful. (I still miss the pinboard though...) I wish I would have been able to stay and see more of Ingy's
talk on Extreme
Programming Tools but I'd accidentally forgotten to bring my
laptop for the lightning talk and had to sync up with Barb to get it.
The talk from Artur on threads was very informative too. He didn't move too quickly through the material which seemed to be exactly what the audience was ready for. And the simple app he built at the end just worked: nice.
Mark Fowler did a good job of covering a huge amount of ground on TT plugins, filters and (believe it or not) views. I think most people got lost at the views area, but at least they're aware of the capability. (And at least he didn't bore them to tears by talking about custom providers...) If the audience expected an intro, maybe they shouldn't have attended a talk called "Extending the Template Toolkit" :-)
I learned a bit about AxKit, Bricolage, and a couple of benchmarking traps, but missed talks on DateTime, Mail::Box and machine learning. Always the dilemma...
One negative: I felt like I missed a chunk of the conference
because I didn't have wireless. (I hope nobody was saying anything bad
about me on IRC during my talk...) My ancient
laptop was not only slow, lowres and using Win98, the wireless
refused to work. Since so many people had Macs (even spread of iBooks
and Powerbooks to my untrained eyes) there was major machine envy
going on. I know I told myself
not to be swayed by the sexy Apples out there, but... well, not only
did David have good points on that post but they're JUST SO DAMN
COOL. The only problem I have with them is screenspace. Even the 15.2"
screens have only 1280x854 resolution. What's up with that? I'm not
like some people who are bent
on going blind before 35 by viewing smaller and smaller resolutions,
but I need some space. The workstation at work I got a couple
months ago with dual-head makes it even worse -- it's very difficult
to go back.
And I didn't learn until Tuesday that someone had discovered a live
hardwire port and Biz thought to
bring a little hub. (Note to self: do this next year. Also bring a
power strip and become everyone's instant friend....) So I was 100%
offline Sunday and Monday, only online for a few minutes on Tuesday
and Wednesday. And the only stuff I really missed were the blogs I
regularly read -- well, and getting hugely pissed at the latest bullshit
the administration is putting out. This was partially expected, but
weird to experience. I think I should try to focus my online time to
put the rest of the day to more productive use...