The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link •

Design Forum
Beautiful EJB?

3 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Jan 7, 2003 5:58 PM by Thomas SMETS

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 3 replies on 1 page
Vincent O'Sullivan

Posts: 724
Nickname: vincent
Registered: Nov, 2002

Beautiful EJB? Posted: Nov 13, 2002 12:30 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
Trawling through http://www.softwarequotes.com earlier I came accross the following quote:

When I am working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only of how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong. - R Buckminster Fuller


Having just started to look at EJBs very recently, my gut feeling is that EJBs at ugly with a big ug. Would anyone agree?

Vince.

(PS. My mother thinks I'm beautiful.)


Thomas SMETS

Posts: 307
Nickname: tsmets
Registered: Apr, 2002

Re: Beautiful EJB? Posted: Dec 12, 2002 5:15 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Have you ever dealt with a big problem in programming ?
2000 users coming thru' different interfaces :
_ Thin client (Web apps)
_ Heavy clients (Swing thingies)
_ Web Services (SOAP...)
And only one Dual Pentium IV as hardware.
Of course if you only encode Shopping mall tickets... you won't need all that :-))

Thomas SMETS,
SCJP2 - Brussels

Peter Norell

Posts: 5
Nickname: bithir
Registered: Dec, 2002

Re: Beautiful EJB? Posted: Dec 18, 2002 4:00 AM
Reply to this message Reply
I quote

I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material [pornography] . . . but I know it when I see it.

-- Potter Stewart


Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder

--

I do agree with you, the EJB standard is not the prettiest around, in fact it is a rather homely looking. What you have to do thou is to put into the context on what the intended audience is. Any generalised system requiring distributed, transactional and very scalable solution will have to tweak the design. EJB standard relies heavily on tried methods on how to solve stuff, it does it decently without impairing too much on the developer.

Seen from a pure OO point of view, it's a bit vile to isolate the data (Entity beans) from the behaviour (business logic - usually represented as Session Beans). It has always been a thorn in my side, but if you study transactions closer, you will notice that they seldom are very OO in nature but rather top-down or procedural in nature.

To stir some life into this discussion, I would like to raise this question:
Maybe we are walking the wrong way trying to objectify a top-down procedural event like a transaction?

Regards,
Peter Norell

Thomas SMETS

Posts: 307
Nickname: tsmets
Registered: Apr, 2002

Re: Beautiful EJB? Posted: Jan 7, 2003 5:58 PM
Reply to this message Reply


Maybe we are walking the wrong way trying to objectify a top-down procedural event like a transaction ?


Certainly ...
they contain something that gives the feeling of being mixing oil & water !
But what else would you propose ?

Thomas,

Flat View: This topic has 3 replies on 1 page
Topic: Fee charging percentage Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Swing Design Patterns

Sponsored Links



Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use