The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

News & Ideas Forum (Closed for new topic posts)
XWT: XML Windowing Toolkit

2 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Nov 6, 2002 12:55 AM by Berco Beute

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Berco Beute

Nickname: berco

XWT: XML Windowing Toolkit Posted: Oct 28, 2002 11:59 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
"You don't "install" web pages; you simply visit them. Why should applications be any different?"

Regarding interfaces developers start to realize that HTML is not the right technology. Whether XML is a solution to the problems of distributed computing that affect the user experience remains to be seen. I, for one, am sceptic.

<shameless plug>
The question how people will find the required XWT-application is not asked on the website. Having to use a Google for services and ending up with 2143587 hits when looking for the services provided by your own house for instance is not a good idea. We would be bumping into the same stone twice. Fortunately this has been a topic of investigation: the place (cyberspace) project as can be found elsewhere on this site.
<shameless plug>

http://www.xwt.org/

Bill Venners

Nickname: bv

Re: XWT: XML Windowing Toolkit Posted: Oct 30, 2002 2:17 AM
One thing I thought was cool about their web site is that they have right-adjusted links hugging the right hand side of the page. I hadn't seen that before.

Berco, have you downloaded and tried this out? If so, what's the user experience like?

Berco Beute

Nickname: berco

Re: XWT: XML Windowing Toolkit Posted: Nov 6, 2002 12:55 AM
Hi Bill, I must say I have only tried the demo and it seems to work fine...on Windows. The idea is nice, but the problems I see are:

1. how scalable is it? Can it be used on everything from desktop computers to mobile phones without users having to choose an interface or install plugins by hand? It doesn't seem so.

2. How do you find the services? It won't be a problem with just a few generic services (text editing, games, currency converters, etc), but it will be with specific services, like the one provided by YOUR VCR (and not your neighbours).

3. Who provides the service? Does it have to be a company's webserver, or can it be anything from small devices to large servers?

4. The back-end is based on web services, which has no proper handling of networking errors, the effects of which will influence the user experience.

Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Topic: Benchmarks Mean Nothing Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Check Out Three Collections Libraries

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use